R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlide Out Out of Sync

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide Out Out of Sync
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:32pm

I posted about this on a Facebook page, but I thought I would share it here.  Maybe it’s been covered before, but it’s worth repeating, as I wasted 3 hours (and some vodka) fixing this.

We left on a 5 day trip and ended up at a nice campground for the first night, a somewhat remote site with no wifi or cell service available.  I started to run out the slide out, and 1 side went out 2” and stopped, while the other side went out 6” and stopped.

Multiple tries in and out and things got a bit worse.  Now the 1 side was out 12” and the other about 5”.  No way could I tow like this, and no way to call for info.  And I could not find anything about the slide out in the giant stack of papers the dealer gave me.  I had removed the panel under the fridge (179) looking for obstructions, but found none.

We drove to a town several miles away that had cell service and I finally found my dealers service department number, but couldn’t find FR’s number.  I called the dealer, and they really didn't care, even though  it was under warranty, and they had no idea what I should/could do.  Really????   They could schedule me in couple of weeks so they could look at it, but they said it’s against the law to tow it with the slide out,  Gee, thanks.  That said I could remove the seat on the slide out, and there’s a motor with a pin.  Pull the pin and push it it manually.

Back at camp, there is no motor under a 179 slide out seat!!!  But after multiple multiple tries, I got the slide out, fully extended both sides.  I then tried doing the in/out 6” thing that I had heard would sync the motors again

With it fully extended, and the panel below the fridge removed, I could finally get a look at the little black box that had flashing lights.  Here’s a shot of the cover.  It appears I needed this as soon as something went wacky.

Bottom line, the dealer should have told me about this when I bought it, there really should have been instructions in the 1” pile of documents (that mostly tried to up-sell something), the dealer should have known about the controller and I should have phone numbers with me for FR & my worthless dealer.

Look your Pod over and find your controller.  It’s under the fridge on a 179, and under the sinks on some other models.  The little reset button is a bit off center of the opening.  And maybe download and print out the manual (link below).

https://pacificrv.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/om-schwintek.pdf

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:13pm
This, my friend, is stellar information to share.  Printed and stored for future reference.  Thank you!
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:27pm
Thank you. Between this and the videos I have seen, I feel I know the Schwintek system well enough so that if something goes wrong, I can deal with it. God willing, nothing will go wrong.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:37pm
+2, thanks I will add to my carry on board binder.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:56am
Thanks!  Answers my concerns.  Added to my manual collection.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:42pm
Wow. Great find. Added to my arsenal.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:03pm
Thanks for the info.   With the slide in we looked under the sink from the side and could see the controller box.  Wouldn't you know it, its mounted upside down!
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply