R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedColor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:46pm
Newbie here. Taking delivery on Saturday. All the sites say the 2017s are blue but ours is green but supposedly still a 2017? Did early model year 2017 pods come in the green or is ours really a 2016? Love the green so it doesn't really matter. Just wondering.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:11pm
Ours is an early model year 2017 R-179. It's green, and we bought it in July of 2016. Kind of early for a 2017 model, but that's what he title says. I think they play fast and loose with the model numbers, but there ya go.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
SDTrialer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:29am
Our 179 title says 2017 and it is green. We purchased in October of 2017 and the dealer said it was on the lot since August of 2017.  It doesn't have a recessed stovetop and had 14" tires. 
pedalho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:20am
Ours too is green 2017 brought home in August 16. Enjoy!

Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:41am
Our 2017 is also green (it is titled as 2017 and as far as I was told and can tell it has the 2017, but not 2017.5, features). It was purchased in late May 2016. So, as far as I know, the transition to the 2017 model year occurred sometime in March or April of 2016.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:18am
Unlike cars there is NO such thing as a 2017 RPOD.  Especially not a 2017.5.  As proof look at a car brochure.  It boldly displays the year.  Look at the RPOD brochure.  Nope there is no year mentioned.  Now look at the invoice.  Nope there is no model year.  Since most states require a year for Title, the model year is the year in which it was built.  RPODS are built every few months alternating with Surveyors at the same plant.  The change from green to blue/blue to blue/grey occurred during the year so that there can be two 2016s or 2017s that are different.  I believe it was Couch Nation that started using 2016.5 and 2017.5 to indicate there were changes but this is not officially used by Forest River.  So if you plan on buying a new RPOD, if you order one to be manufactured and not buy off the lot, it can be different (probably a good thing).  As soon as we saw the change to blue/grey we called the dealer and made sure that was what we were going to get.  While we ordered ours last September (before the change to grey) it was not built until February after the change.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

Unlike cars there is NO such thing as a 2017 RPOD.  Especially not a 2017.5.  As proof look at a car brochure.  It boldly displays the year.  Look at the RPOD brochure.  Nope there is no year mentioned.  Now look at the invoice.  Nope there is no model year.  Since most states require a year for Title, the model year is the year in which it was built.  RPODS are built every few months alternating with Surveyors at the same plant.  The change from green to blue/blue to blue/grey occurred during the year so that there can be two 2016s or 2017s that are different.  I believe it was Couch Nation that started using 2016.5 and 2017.5 to indicate there were changes but this is not officially used by Forest River.  So if you plan on buying a new RPOD, if you order one to be manufactured and not buy off the lot, it can be different (probably a good thing).  As soon as we saw the change to blue/grey we called the dealer and made sure that was what we were going to get.  While we ordered ours last September (before the change to grey) it was not built until February after the change.

Probably many "innocent" (or perhaps the RV industry considers them to be "gullible") customers will be surprised to hear this statement. Are you saying the dealers (and the manufacturers) from whom we all purchased our 2017 titled RVs (which were titled in 2016) broke the law? Or are you saying there are no specific laws/regulations to which the manufacturers and dealers must abide, therefore they are permitted to do whatever suits their whims?
Funky
2017 R pod 180
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:39am
I do not think there are any laws governing what model year you name a car/RV.  Cars are all very close to one another and the next years version usually comes out in August.  But once I bought a mid year new model and it was in April and yet they gave it next years model year, nine months early! When we heard about the new blue color in June 2016 I called Forest River to ask if the new 2017 model was going to be at the Sept 2016 Hershey PA auto show.  He refused to say yes or name the year.  His reply was they would be showing the latest models.  While a dealer can call it anything on a title, I think it is unethical (but not illegal) to put 2017 on a title for a RPOD manufactured in 2016 for the main reason Forest River is not calling it a 2017 so why should the dealer.  The fact is RPODS are made Jan/Feb, May/June and Sep/Oct.  They can change them any of those times and usually do but the changes do not reflect a new model year,  just the latest version.  It is difficult concept and took me a while to understand since cars are done by model years and RPOD dealers continue to call them by model year (especially Couch Nation that uses the 201X.5 designation) BUT Forest River does not acknowledge RPOD model years.  The best thing to do if you are buying a new RPOD is to read on these posts what the latest versions are and tell your dealer you want that model or else demand a bigger discount for not selling the most recent production version.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by SDTrialer

Our 179 title says 2017 and it is green. We purchased in October of 2017 and the dealer said it was on the lot since August of 2017.  It doesn't have a recessed stovetop and had 14" tires. 

Can you let me know what the stock markets look like in October of 2017? Since you've been there:)
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

I do not think there are any laws governing what model year you name a car/RV.  Cars are all very close to one another and the next years version usually comes out in August.  But once I bought a mid year new model and it was in April and yet they gave it next years model year, nine months early! When we heard about the new blue color in June 2016 I called Forest River to ask if the new 2017 model was going to be at the Sept 2016 Hershey PA auto show.  He refused to say yes or name the year.  His reply was they would be showing the latest models.  While a dealer can call it anything on a title, I think it is unethical (but not illegal) to put 2017 on a title for a RPOD manufactured in 2016 for the main reason Forest River is not calling it a 2017 so why should the dealer.  The fact is RPODS are made Jan/Feb, May/June and Sep/Oct.  They can change them any of those times and usually do but the changes do not reflect a new model year,  just the latest version.  It is difficult concept and took me a while to understand since cars are done by model years and RPOD dealers continue to call them by model year (especially Couch Nation that uses the 201X.5 designation) BUT Forest River does not acknowledge RPOD model years.  The best thing to do if you are buying a new RPOD is to read on these posts what the latest versions are and tell your dealer you want that model or else demand a bigger discount for not selling the most recent production version.

Richand Cindy
It sounds like, when we bought ours, we did indeed receive the most recent version. What is debatable is whether it was justifiably labeled as a 2017 (or for that matter, whether any of the many r pods and other RVs produced/sold in 2016 and labeled as 2017s were justifiably labeled as 2017s). Perhaps, for the "public good", this is something that should be less confusing (and I wonder whether there is currently consistency between manufacturers, dealers, and from state to state in the way the RVs are being labeled). This is not a problem that can be solved here on this forum. But, awareness of this problem is key.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>