R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing with minivan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing with minivan
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:30pm
Hi everyone im new to the forum.  Anyways we bought a 2017 Rpod 182G  4 months ago.  We currently have a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE as the tow vehicle.  It has the towing package but just curious how many of you tow with a minivan.  We have the E2 weight distribution and prodigy wireless brake controller.  We took our first trip from cincinnati to hocking hills state park about 130 miles each way a week ago.  my brother was not using his Tundra and offered it up so i took it. Besides the power i still felt the camper behind the truck.  I have only towed about 90 miles total with the van but our next big trip is to traverse city about 480 miles each way.  The wife and I had talked about bigger tow vehicles but you can get caught up in the cycle of just constantly buying bigger things.  As for the van my thoughts were addition trans cooler, airbags in back and scangauge II to monitor my temps.  Any thoughts or inputs?
2017 - RPOD 182G
2011 - TOYOTA SIENNA
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by POD182G

... my brother was not using his tundra ... so i took it. Besides the power i still felt the camper behind the truck.

1. I'm a tad confused. A Tundra should pull the 182 easily. How fast were you going? 60 MPH is a good rate.

2. 3500 pounds towing capacity I feel is fine for a 171/2 going to Traverse City from Cinci. It's flat. I wish Forest River would tell people upfront that a 2800 pound dry weight 182 really requires at least 4500 pounds towing capacity for general satisfaction, and a lot of people here will tell you that, actually, more is needed.

In my opinion, if you stay in Ohio and Michigan, the Sienna will be adequate for you if you go slowly, but it's not enuf once you leave the flatlands. I am very interested/curious about what other people say.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:36pm
I am sure Leo from Vermont will chime in once he sees this.  He has a Grand Caravan I believe and goes from there to the south and back quite often.  There are others also who tow with similar vehicles but as Happy Tripping wisely said above, once you leave the flatlands you will probably want something that can pull more weight AND a transmission cooler is a must, unless you have a hefty slush fund for replacing yours by pulling a pod w/o one. 

Let us know when you will be in Traverse City as we are only 23 miles away; we will look you up.  Will you be staying at the State Park there?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:05pm
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 182!! We tow with a Dodge Cgrand caravan. Just towed from Lyndonville, VT to Bar Harbor Maine. It was 250 miles through he white mountains and average 15 mpg.
We have towed up and down the east coast and truly enjoy our van. Glad to answer any questions.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by POD182G

Hi everyone im new to the forum.  Anyways we bought a 2017 Rpod 182G  4 months ago.  We currently have a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE as the tow vehicle.  It has the towing package but just curious how many of you tow with a minivan.  We have the E2 weight distribution and prodigy wireless brake controller.  We took our first trip from cincinnati to hocking hills state park about 130 miles each way a week ago.  my brother was not using his Tundra and offered it up so i took it. Besides the power i still felt the camper behind the truck.  I have only towed about 90 miles total with the van but our next big trip is to traverse city about 480 miles each way.  The wife and I had talked about bigger tow vehicles but you can get caught up in the cycle of just constantly buying bigger things.  As for the van my thoughts were addition trans cooler, airbags in back and scangauge II to monitor my temps.  Any thoughts or inputs?

Trailer Life towing guide for 2011 says your Sienna has a GVWR of 3,500 pounds.  Hard to find a GVWR for the 2017 182G.  Its UVW is 2836 and CCC is 1049.  Sum them, and you have 3,885#, which exceeds your Sienna GVWR by more than 300 pounds.  Recommend you reconsider towing with the Sienna, as it probably has insufficient capacity.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:27pm
I tow my 176t with my Town and Country with is rated @ 3600.  It has load leveling air suspension as part of the "limited", but it does just fine.  I have an Equalizer WDH and I have to flip it over to get the ball higher up.  Only complaint, its the ball isn't high enough and I hit more stuff than I should, but it tows fine.  A typical family has 500lbs of stuff I have read, although I have not weighed mine, so you should be OK.  Just don't haul any water in the tanks until you get close.  Jeep's have the same limit and there thousands of us.

Derek
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs
POD182G View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:54am
The Tundra pulled it just fine.  As far as handing the van didn't feel too much different.  
2017 - RPOD 182G
2011 - TOYOTA SIENNA
POD182G View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:57am
sorry new to figuring out the response to posts.  Anyways i appreciated everyone's input.  This is our first camper and we selected the bunkhouse model because we have (2) boys 3 yrs and 8 mths.  I think for now will stick with the Sienna and i will add the few upgrades to hopefully make it more comfortable towing.  Traverse City will be the longest distance we plan to go from home.  We are staying at the Timber Ridge RV park.  I had read some bad reviews on the state park and being a passport america member we got half off our stay at Timber Ridge.
2017 - RPOD 182G
2011 - TOYOTA SIENNA
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:53am
My rule for towing is..... The towed vehicle should be 1/2 the rated weight of the tow vehicle. This insures comfort and vehicle longevity..... While you can get away with 3500/3500 weight for awhile, get ready to replace trannies....
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:20am
We have a 182G which loaded without water, just tools and clothing, weighs 3320#.  We tow with a Pilot which tows 4500#. It may be helpful for you to weigh your fully loaded to see how close you are to your tow capacity.  Even in "Flat" Kansas the elevation can go from 400 ft. to 3680 ft. and will pull harder!Wink
FROGGY
 Post Reply Post Reply