FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2017 rPod 178 - Event Date: 15 May 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2017 rPod 178
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:35am
Hello out there in pod land,
    I have read many of your posts and am terrified that I may roast my hot water heater on the first time out.  I am not very technically inclined, but I finally found it, under the mattress as others have reported in earlier models.  I found the water pump under the sink by crawling into my slide out while it was in.  (Good thing no one pushed the button or I would have been crushed.) Then I opened up the compartment under the mattress and saw the heater (with a vent into the living space) and the hot water heater.
     I wonder (if this is such a big deal and so many people burn out an element early on) why they don't make this question an important feature of the orientation.  It seems like there should be a special handout on it, and they should open up the compartment and show it to you and say:  Just make sure you do X and Y, and you don't do Z, or you'll burn out your element" and then have you sign something saying that they told you and you understand. 
     Does anyone know whether they have made the hot water heater operation any more straightforward on the 2017 model?  What I should look for, watch out for, etc.?  Thank you! 
           Kathie

salgado-slaven View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:04pm
Kathie,
No the 2017, as far as I am concerned, is not more straightforward. I have read, viewed videos and not gotten it clear yet. We will be asking where we purchased and store our RPod 180 for instructions.

The instructions provided are very circular the way they are written and difficult to follow.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:04pm
Most dealers walk through is only to go over items unique to the RPOD.  So they will show you where the water heater is and where is the switch to turn it on.  They will not teach you how to use a water heater or winterize it.  That would an take a hour alone.  If you have a dealer that will spend 3 hours teaching you how to use an RV you are very lucky.  BUT you have help here .Go to the Podmods.... section and look under "Creating a manual" section and read, read, read.  You will learn everything you need to know.  I knew nothing and was a member of this board for one year before taking ownership of our 180.  Now I learned so much I am even answering questions like an expert. As far as the heater goes either connect to city water or add water to the tanks and run water through all the lines cold and hot.  After water comes out of the hot water faucets, you can flip the switch on the wall to turn on the water heater and within 10 minutes you should have hot water.  You will never burn out the element if there is water coming out the faucet.  If the water fails to heat you are in winter mode and need read up on how to turn the valves to the summer position.  Forest River puts a sticker on the outside door indicating if the water heater is winterized.  If yes dealer should properly get it into summer mode.  If you already left the dealer you will have to do it yourself.  Don't worry, it will be easy once you read everything.  There are people here to help you through it as well
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:10pm
You will learn to be "technically inclined" if you own an RV.  It is not hard - just common sense once you understand the principles.  Keep asking questions on this forum.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:04pm
Thanks John I appreciate the encouragement, I really do.

I am in IT with a master degree. So I am doubly frustrated. LOL

Thanks again, it really helps.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:28pm
This is what makes this forum unique and grand; people helping people.  The majority of us started out as rank amateurs but after reading and learning, have now gotten to the point we can help others who are just a couple steps behind.  Thank all you above posters!  +1  +2
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
kjameson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:00am
Thanks, my first trip went great!  We went to Sunset Point in Harrington and hiked the trails at a couple of different conservation areas that were absolutely gorgeous, out on peninsulas with great views of the ocean and beaches and rocks to walk on.  I did not burn out my element on the hot water heater or manage to do any other damage, and I'm feeling a lot less overwhelmed now.  Kathie 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 3:22pm
Three Way Camper (where we purchase and store our RPod 180) helped us get the water heater working. The prep crew had left the bypass valve on and the builder had also configured a valve goin in the other other direction, we are out now on our second trip with hot water for showers.
The folks at 3 Way Camper are amazing!!
 Post Reply Post Reply