R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutside Shower Enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside Shower Enclosure
    Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by osage

Don't quote me on this but I believe it is against the rules to use a outside shower in natl. parks.

That's more or less true in at least some parks.  The way I remember the rule reading it that no waste water can be poured on the ground.  So if you have some sort of catch basin for your shower and you take the water to a proper disposal place, you should be okay.  Someone does make a shower tent with a catch basin.  I don't remember who, or where I saw it.

There is another thread going on here now about dumping grey water on the ground.  Same issue.  What is used shower water?  (Choices are potable, gray, black.)  Aside from any regulations, there are etiquette issues (regarding dumping waste water, not nudity.  Although maybe that too.)

Some places it might be okay to rinse off outside.  A real soap-shower or washing dishes and dumping the water on the ground, not so much.

Like David said though, I'm not sure why this should even be an issue for R-Pod owners.  We all have inside showers and kitchen sinks attached to grey tanks.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:51am

Exactly!   RVs make it easy to do the right thing. We can contain and properly dispose of our waste water so, why not?

There used to be a creed of "take only pictures, leave only footprints". We all have to live in whatever the last camper(s) left in the site. (I've yet to encounter a campsite with maid service)

Why should we not be considerate and respectful of our camping neighbors and those that follow after us?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:07am
One note.. boondocking/dispersed camping, is very different from park or campground camping.. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by furpod

One note.. boondocking/dispersed camping, is very different from park or campground camping.. 

I see your point but, nasty is nasty no matter where I park it.
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:36am

That's kind of what I've been referring to. Also our camp showers use about 2 quarts of water -- a step up from a sponge bath. When boon docking, trailer or tent, water used is water carried.
2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:01am
Without arguing I am trying to learn from the perspective that you shouldn't use the outdoor shower.  Breaking that down, you shouldn't use soap.  Otherwise its just water.   So what is the perspective of not using soap?  Assuming you are not immediately on some watersedge, using bio-soap is chemically neutral as does break down on its own. 

I consider my self a save the trees/planet kinda guy.  I feel that human waste is a showstopper in a natural environment and is to not be tolerated.  However, I like the outdoor shower because of the extra room for my arms alone.  Being discrete is part of being an adult.  Being environmentally conscious means using biodegradable soap in the wilderness.  Open spaces are to be enjoyed and not trampled.

Is that really an out of line position?  I imagine most tent campers don't pack their water out, so I hope they are responsible too.

Derek
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by David

I see your point but, nasty is nasty no matter where I park it.

Actually, this discussion has been useful, as usual here. I really see your point. You probably remember  when you first got a pod. If you are like me, you were trying to figure out how to adapt what you used to do to what you can/should do now.

Using the outdoor water was part of my noodling. The difference is that the trailer will be in the camp sight. The shower tent was well outside of it, in an are where ranger or host said it was OK to dispose of grey wager.

I will be taking the camp shower boon docking but will set it up as before. At least I won't have to wait for sun shower to heat up.
2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by RichC

When boon docking, trailer or tent, water used is water carried.

That's what I am getting at. Dispersed, boondocking or an organized campground, dispose of properly. Even the dispersed areas, though not stressed to the extent of organized campgrounds, are still used by others. If you liked a particular "spot", I would probably like and use it too.

I can empathize with your "size" complaint. Unless one buys a really large RV, the showers are all small. I doubt even an elementary school sized kid would find them spacious. Maybe we should all take up yoga?

However, difficult as it is, it's better than nothing and it keeps my waste contained.

I consider this a small sacrifice to respect my fellow campers and the property/nature. We all want to enjoy the outdoors and need to do our part to leave it as good (or even better) than we found it.
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:29pm
PahaQue Tepee Shower and Outhouse Tent
I had (still have) one of these that I used with my pop up.I bought it on ebay used at a much cheaper cost than the one shown. I also bought the capture floor which catches all of your "gray" water as you shower.I then pumped it into a 5 gallon bucket with a d cell battery pump. Water was them disposed of in the campsite gray water dump. For a shower I used a propane powered shower.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:32pm
Seems to me that the outside shower isn't really intended as a bathing facility but rather a place to rinse off like an out door shower at a beach.  

Bathing leaves behind potential pathogens that can present a public health issue when sufficiently concentrated, as could be the case in a campground, especially those that are heavily used.  The same for tossing dishwater.  When boon docking it poses little risk simply because there aren't enough bugs or other contaminates (assuming the use of biodegradable soaps) to create a problem for campers or the fauna in the area.  

Certainly, campground managers have to contend with the tent campers who don't have access to a gray water holding tanks for their used dishwater and minimal hygiene water waste, but since we ponders have the option to contain our gray water, it helps to reduce the risk and is the responsible thing to while in campgrounds.  It all boils down to how much is the impact and what is the risk.  Where the concentration of tent campers is sufficiently high that their gray waster waste is risky to the public, then it is the responsibility of public officials to provide some reasonable means of disposal to ensure public health.

As for the aesthetic issue of exposing one's uncovered self to the public, that depends on the sensibilities of the folks around.  For me, I'd find it delightful to watch Jennifer Lopez rinse off in a trailer side shower, but my wife would, shall we say, "not be pleased" with me even if I only peeked at such a marvelous sight.  It is an issue of common sense and sensibility to those around you.  Some times when I go to the beach, I wonder why there aren't lawyers set up with card tables to sign up clients to sue some of the beach goers for the intentional infliction of mental distress cause by their failure to adequately cover themselves.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>