R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutside Shower Enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside Shower Enclosure
    Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:22pm
Has anyone found a decent shower enclosure for the outdoors shower on the 179? I'm not looking to set up another tent like setup I have seen advertised, after already setting up the tent like RDome. Seems really weird they would design a great outdoor shower but provide nothing in the way of a privacy solution. I'm not crafty Mary, and would prefer to just buy something ready to go. We love this feature, as don't use the interior bathroom, and don't feel like schlepping with quarters to the campground showers. Right now have to position SUV and stepladder adjacent to shower and drape beach towels. So ghetto.

Curious too why they chose the location of the 179 outdoor shower right over top of the electrical connection.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:42pm
In my opinion the outdoor shower is probably meant for rinsing sand off after swimming or some other quick rinse with swimming gear or shorts or something on -- like the showers at the beach.  For privacy Forest River provides the indoor shower.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
cwmoser View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:07pm
I too have thought about the Outdoor Shower.
Someone mentioned a Hulu Hoop and a cheap
Shower Curtain.  Hang the thing with a rope.
Might give it a try.

GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:18am
Privacy isn't the only issue for me. I don't want to stand in the muddy run off, so I tried to come up with some sort of slats or mat to stand on. That on top of the privacy contraption has convinced me that the outdoor shower is a perfect dog bath and leave it at that.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 5:32am
As other's have said. The outside shower is not an "outside" shower. Used for getting hot water to wash dishes after eating, rinsing sand off of grandkids after day at the beach, etc. We have a small rubber matt we stand on to be out of the "mud".
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 7:42am
For several years we have had a Cabelas shower tent with us on extended tent camping trips.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Easy-Up-Deluxe-Shower-Shelter/1968929.uts?productVariantId=4076535&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04089944&rid=20&gclid=CK_uqbTw7NMCFVW1wAod2wYGYQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

For a 7 day boon docking trip later this summer we plan to take it, set it up next to the pod and run outdoor shower hose through the window. 
2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:56am

WARNING - the following is one of my "soapbox rants". Reader discretion is advised.

I wish they would quit calling these things "showers". It leads some folks to believe that they are intended for personal hygiene. Not so. Kind of like when the weatherman predicts an "afternoon shower" - we don't grab a bar of soap, get naked, run into the middle of the street (after lunch) and bathe. The word "shower" does not always connote lathering up.

Mine is called a "spray port" and this better reflects it's intended use (ie. rinsing muddy hiking boots, etc.).

Aside from the sanitation issues (gray water, soap residue, hair from various body parts, etc.) left on the ground, in the campsite, there are "decency" issues. One puff of wind and your "curtain" blows open. In most localities, public nudity is illegal. It doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing. If you can be seen by the public......

As I look around a typical campground, excepting younger couples and families, a lot of us campers are getting older. A number of us, as we have aged, have adopted "age appropriate physiques". To see some persons, in this category, in a state of nakedness, would make me want to gouge my eyes out with a fork! (I'm not exempting myself) Also, there are children that might see.

It seems to me that it would be a lot more sensible and less trouble to use the indoor shower - for it's intended purpose. Otherwise, why spend 5 figures on a camping unit with this feature? I don't see what might be gained by trying to undertake this activity outdoors. Maybe I'm missing something?
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:06am
When we use the Cabelas shower we are in national forest, boon docking, usually with no or few neighbors. We have been using sun shower for water source. Whatever is hanging off the outside of the pod is a step up and attached to a water heater.

I'm very new to rv camping and have spent almost no time in rv camp grounds. We certainly intend to use the appropriate behavior depending on the circumstances.

Sorry if I offended you.
2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:18am
Don't quote me on this but I believe it is against the rules to use a outside shower in natl. parks.
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:33am
Never hid from the rangers or hosts. Never saw that regulation.  Never offended anyone. Been doing it for 30 years.

By the way, I didn't buy an R Pod for a shower. Got tired of sleeping on the ground a 69 y.o., nice to have decent rain protection, nice to be able to comfortably camp in colder weather, nice to have hot water on demand and many other features we are all aware of.

Also a 6'1" 230 - size 50 jacket, the shower is not a great fit, although I appreciate it and have used it. (we've only taken 2 short trips since purchase, 3rd coming up this week). We will be in a state park campground with showers--will use them.
2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>