R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutside Shower Enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StauchwallBend View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside Shower Enclosure
    Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
We use a Pahaque stand alone shower (these are also used as toilet setups).  The 60 inch shower line attached to the hand wand required the stand alone to be very close to the electrical outlet.  A workaround is to go to Lowes and purchase a 3/8x3/8x3/8 barbed brass Tee and 3/8x3/8 straight connector, and attach a 20 ft section of 3/8 ID nylon reinforced vinyl tubing. 

I cut the stock 60 inch hose into 2 30 inch segments, inserted the Tee to reunite these two parts to then allow use of the stock shower wand for simple rinse jobs.  The third port on the Tee goes to a MagmaFlo Quick Disconnect adapter.  The male end of the adapter is attached to one end of the 20 ft vinyl tubing and the other end has a 3/8x3/8 straight barbed brass connector that fits into a second shower wand that I had ordered separately. 

The MagmaFlo adapter is the type used on backpack hydration systems.  The 1/4 inch barbed adapter fits into the 3/8 inch ID vinyl (20 ft section) by using a 1/4 inch ID 1 vinyl segment over the 1/4 OD inch adapter barb.  I would prefer using a Quick Disconnect that had a 1/3 inch OD barb, but have yet to locate that adapter.  When I want a shower, I get the coil of 20 ft vinyl hose with its shower head and push the male end of the adapter into the female end that is permanently attached to the center arm of the Tee.  I can send a picture, if that would help.
StauchwallBend
SDTrialer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by furpod

One note.. boondocking/dispersed camping, is very different from park or campground camping.. 

Good point!  We only boondock - have never yet plugged into shore power or city water.  TV has not yet been used. We don't need a water pressure regulator or surge protector.  There are no campground bath facilities.  
 We do use the outdoor shower in nice weather very responsibly.   

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:52pm
Make sure you follow local laws with the shower gray water.  You may find yourself being confronted by a local park ranger issuing you a citation to you as you rinse the soap off your bum.  In very remote areas outside of developed camp grounds, it's relatively innocuous if you use biodegradable soap, but in densely used campgrounds it can create some sanitation problems including the spread of some unpleasant diseases.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
OurPodRod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:39pm
Ha Ha - we used the outdoor shower on our shakedown trip to wash the dog...after she rolled in something smelly. Figure it will be mostly for cleaning dog, sand off feet etc. but interested in what is suggested for true outdoor shower.  We filled our gray water tank pretty fast so might be a good idea to shower outside.
Zimms
2018 178 R Pod
TV 2016 Chevy Colorado
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:30pm
OK, our 4 years ago we had a problem with our cantaloupes.   I bought a RPOD made in Oregon last year and I still have problems with it !

Derek  
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 12:49pm
Good points, David, and a good laugh!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 12:43pm
I own two dogs. I clean up their poop ALWAYS and often clean up after others who don't. But my dogs and everyone else's urinate all over. Let's face it campsites are dirty places.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 11:27am
It's the cantaloupes from Colorado that I worry about.  http://www.denverpost.com/2013/09/26/colorado-cantaloupe-farmers-charged-by-federal-officials-in-fatal-listeria-outbreak/
😉
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:37am
That is totally fair.  The NIH in 2013 published work on how our skin has 2 billion or so bacterium, and if we have a dog, its even more.  An if I just came back from Africa, then 24 hours later zipped up to the smokies, there could be some bonus bacterium.  Their ability to survive would be questionable.  To me, and I am going to read this paper from Stanford to learn more, its like the 5 second rule.  Bill Nye and Myth Busters tested the 5 second rule.   Long story short, the likelihood of bacterium being on the floor exactly where the food item was dropped is so remote, there is no 5 second rule. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/5-second-rule-with-food/

I haven't thought about food however until you just said that.  Throwing an apple core sounds simple enough, but if that apple is from Mexico, then its not so simple.  Boy Scouts didn't cover pathology in nature.  I was so robbed!
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:08am
Derek - Pathogens are everywhere there is life.  They are the basic forms of life that have existed for millions of years.  They have very little motive power except as hitchhikers, but they are extraordinarily effective at tagging along, traveling unseen and unnoticed all over the world, for example, various forms of influenza.

Every time you go to a campground, or anywhere else for that matter, you carry along billions of microorganisms, many of which can cause disease in other people or animals.  So when you wash off, you not only leave behind organism that you may have picked up in the campground, but also others that you brought from your last trip to tropical Africa.  Thankfully, living creatures, be they animal or plant, have relatively effective defense systems that keep us from becoming ill every time we encounter a bug that can make us ill.

Most potable water people carry to a camp ground is treated so that there are very low levels of pathogens in it. But it isn't that water that causes the problem.  It's the stuff that comes from your body, your food, etc. that gets washed off with the water and thrown onto the ground that can spread disease.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>