R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmodifying door for window ??? - Event Date: 11 May 2017 - 06 Jun 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: modifying door for window ???
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:50pm
Several members have modified the door on their R-pods to include a window.  One person even had a window which opened.  I am considering adding a window to the door in our 179 and am considering a two part window that opens from the bottom.   This would add both light and ventilation to the Pod.

However, when I look at the door, I notice that the screen door would make it difficult to open such a window.  Has anyone encountered this problem and if so how did you solve it?  Or am I over-thinking this?
Enjoy Life!!
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 10:53pm
Is the door on the 2017's different?  I bet its not, because they have windows now.  I have thought about putting the ones that are hinged at the top and open like a awning if you understand.  That will keep the rain out.   

I am curious that without a drape, the light would wake me up when I don't want to be up.

Derek
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 6:00am
Several have added windows. Mine is the bottom opening type, drape is attached to the door and sandwiched between door and screen to lower light. I used the 14 X 21 for sale on Amazon, it has a rubber seal and is advertised as an R-Pod door window. If door is to be closed, I open the window, set drape where I want it and close door. Too easy.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:53am
I actually believe that a properly installed window results in a stiffer/stronger door. The biggest "concerns" are cutting the hole no larger then needed, and caulking properly.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:11am
I put in a marine porthole in my door.  It's one that opens with the port folding up.  And yes, the screen door does get in the way a little.  You have to open the door and separate the screen door from the solid door to open it, but once opened it stays up and you can close both doors.  The other thing it does is that the port securing nuts (plastic handles on top of metal nuts) press a little against the screen deflecting it about 1/4 to 3/8th of an inch when the port and doors are all shut.

I got the porthole on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJK3VKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It cost $37.  

The port has a 1 1/2" flange so you need to make sure your door is thick enough for it.  I checked this before I bought it by taking off the lock set and measuring the actual thickness of the door.  I barely had enough, but when you set the porthole, you can compress the foam in the door a little just by snugging down the screws around the porthole.  You need to be careful sealing it with caulk since the flange connects to the porthole on the inside.  On the outside there is a ring that fits around the slightly extruding flange.  We've had a record rainfall here since I put it in with very windy storms and I've had no hints of leakage.

I'm thinking of adding a couple more, one on each side, up front of our 172 since it has no windows forward.  We took out most of the top bunk for head room and it would add quite a bit of light and improve the ventilation.  But that's for the future since now it's time to go camping.

Of course you can get a conventional rectangular RV window that will be easier to install and will slide open, but the porthole looks really cool especially on the retro form of the pod.

If you'd like pictures, pm me and we'll figure out how to send them.  I don't have a public website where I keep fotos so I can't put them in here.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:47pm
Thanks to everyone for their input.  Ours is a 2017 R179 HRE with a solid door -- no window.  The next next edition came out 3 weeks after we got ours.   The modification will have to wait for us also.  We are camping!!!!  Won't be done until October.
Enjoy Life!!
 Post Reply Post Reply