R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStrange tire wear - Event Date: 05 Nov 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Strange tire wear
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:36pm
I recently bought a used R Pod Camper. When I got it home, I noticed the left tire is wearing excessively on the inside and the tire/wheel appear to be tilted in toward the trailer causing this wear. I don't know the first owner history as I bought it from a second owner. What would cause this? I am replacing the tires but need to know what would cause the left wheel/tire to tilt in at this angle. The right wheel/tire is straight up & down and is fine. I have pictures but am not sure how to post them here.
Thanks for any help,
sojourner
Stephanie C
Carpe Diem
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 6:19am
My opinion - you need an expert check. Excessive camber will cause tire wear, your camber is set by axle. If there is an issue with axle or that wheel, new tires will not correct it, in fact you will wear out the new tire. If you are like me, you have no warranty (I also bought used). Trailer axles can have a predetermined bend in the middle that equates to 0 camber under load. I would not take this trailer on a trip until I figured out the issue, that tire will wear prematurely and at some point fail.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:43am
I agree with Mike.  You should get it checked out professionally, but if the wear is fairly minimal, you might be able to get along by rotating tires for a while. Still, you have a problem that probably won't go away on its own.  I'd suggest looking for a non-RV place -- Google "bearings" in your area.  A place that replaces wheel bearing will work on wheels and axles too.  They'll be cheaper and likely a lot quicker than an RV place.  Worst case, you may need to replace the axle, which is a lot cheaper than it sounds.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Worst case, you may need to replace the axle, which is a lot cheaper than it sounds.
TT

Yes, have it looked at professionally. I believe, most likely, your axle is bent. Happens to a lot of people, including me, without unusual bouncing etc. The problem is that ALL lightweight r-pod-like trailers that I know of use 3500 lb axles. This is just too low, in my opinion. 

The simplest solution is to rotate tires and resign yourself to replacing your tires twice as often as usual, new axles are pretty darned expensive compared to new tires. Oh, and of course, keep a careful eye on the rate of wear of the tires.
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:08pm
Thread highjack...just saw this axleless suspension system while doing web axle search.  Anyone used these?   https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Axles-gw-5200_lbs.aspx
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
 Post Reply Post Reply