Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed176 vs 176T

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176 vs 176T
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:19pm
My husband and I are looking to purchase our first R Pod. We really like the 176, but should we get the one with the tent? They are not readily available in the San Diego area, so we would have to buy the T site unseen. 

Anyone regret buying the 176T rather than the 176? We have two kids and a dog, so I think the extra space would be great. My husband is also on the tall side. 

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks. 
twodues View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:42pm
Our maiden 'voyage' with our 178 was 10 days ago at Buffalo River in Arkansas (beginning of the torrential flooding rains). With four adults and two dogs, the r-dome tent was a great accessory (no awning would have kept us dry!). Quick to set up and weathered the storm fine. Not the 176 "T" but still nice to have the extra space.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:14pm
Almost everyone who buys T model does it sight unseen. They are rare. Most owners love them. Be aware, some parks/areas do not allow "soft sides" which a T model is. 
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:53pm
I have the T model.. although I expect it, I have yet to encounter a park that does not want the softside.  However, i do not open the tent in 2 conditions:   1) aforementioned restrictions 2) too dang hot that the AC cant keep up.  We had a custom mattress made, which if I did again I would do just a couple inches narrower for this very reason.  I turn the mattress 90 degrees and sleep on the dinette.  

We learned there is a species of bird in Texas that when you are near a light, they warble all night long.  Bad use of a tent.

Another trip, to Arkansas, the AC was like a toy for some reason.. so I just closed the tent up.  Worked great.  When I go out by myself.. I don't open the tent.

I am pretty pleased actually.  Your right though.. I bought it sight unseen.   When I go to Yellowstone this year i expect to not be able to open it.  So I will sleep on the dinette.   My dog however might night like the floor as there will not be room.

Derek 
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by computerfixitguy

We learned there is a species of bird in Texas that when you are near a light, they warble all night long.  Bad use of a tent.

Side question: Do you know what species that is? I think we have one that camps outside our kitchen window at home.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:19pm
Whip-poor-wills .   just a cacophony of them.   I'm used to the rockies where that just don't happen.. its wrong.

Derek 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 7:23pm
After packing up my popup in the pouring rain at the end of last year, i said never again, will i have canvass, or any type of open camper. I will quite possibly get a 176 next time around. Though i could just go with the 180. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:35pm
Forgot one thing... the 'lid" on the 176t shelters the tent from the rain so it doesn't get wet like a traditional popup.  No rain drop sounds.  I like it way better than a popup.  It doesn't really "put away wet" like a pop does.

Derek
 Post Reply Post Reply