R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank level sensor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black tank level sensor
    Posted: 01 May 2017 at 12:20am
I just bought a 2015 178 and when looking at it I noticed the gauge showed a 2/3 fulll black tank. I asked the seller why it was full (private seller) and he just said he would dump it if I bought it. I didn't think much of it as everything else looked brand new. We agreed to have an rv dealer do full inspection before the sale, he said on the phone that everything checked out good and it was ready. I purchased it for 13k and upon pick up noticed the black Tank said the same thing. He simply said he forgot to dump it, rv dealer inspection sheet read "black tank reads 2/3 full". I got underneath today and knocked on it and it sounded empty compared to the full fresh water tank.

Does anyone have any pointers about the sensors? By looking underneath they look like liquid level sensors that upon conductivity close a circuit and give that reading. Not a huge deal but really wanting to use all the features of this 13+k camper! Thanks
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:17am
 Most likely is that there is toilet paper stuck to the 2/3 sensor.  This is very common. Add some blank tank chemical to the tank, then have to nearly fill the black tank through the toilet with a hose. It's faster than the the rinse port. 

Take you Pod for a nice long (hour or so) drive on back road twisty turns, so the water sloshes a lot. This will likely get rid of the paper. Dump it, and rinse after wars, should fix it up no problem.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:29am
Agree with ToolmanJohn. The tank sensor should never be trusted. They are the worst part of the rpods.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:53am
This is a common problem that is not unique to R-Pods.  ToolmanJohn has the right solution.  Instead of the regular black water chemicals, get one that has an enzymatic action.
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:40pm
Would it be better to fill tank using the flush port? Isn't that suppose to clean the tank in theory?
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:16am
In theory....., I would fill it to 90% , put enzyme packet in and drive it around the next day.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 8:39am
When we took delivery of our pod, I was talking to one of the mechanics and he said the most common reason for the sensor not working is toilet paper sticking onto it.  He said that even the most costly/best(?) RV tp will not dissolve and will stick to the sensor.  His suggestion was to use the method used in many countries where the plumbing is iffy and can't handle paper: don't throw paper into the head, but instead have a discrete container into which you can deposit the soiled paper sealed little zip lock bags.  He said that not only would you avoid problems with the sensor, you'd also save money b/c then you can use regular tp.

I haven't tried this method so far b/c I really don't want to deal with disposal and I am a little concerned about the biohazard issue in connection with throwing the bags into the regular trash.  But I've been to many countries where this form of disposal is normal and one's squeamishness does eventually go away.

I'm curious, has anyone tried it?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 8:41am
I forgot to add:  This is the also the normal method use for backcountry backpackers who regularly pack all trash out, including used tp.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:00am
Danielw1,

I use the flush port to fill my tank to 3/4 prior to dumping. The port connected to the tank, is a 90 degree hose barb, 1/2" ID. It is basically a fresh water fill, there is no spray action. There is a one way valve in the line to prevent black water from getting to garden hose. My valve was in backwards, so I moved the flush to the drivers side next to the black tank drain.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by mcarter

Danielw1,

I use the flush port to fill my tank to 3/4 prior to dumping. The port connected to the tank, is a 90 degree hose barb, 1/2" ID. It is basically a fresh water fill, there is no spray action. There is a one way valve in the line to prevent black water from getting to garden hose. My valve was in backwards, so I moved the flush to the drivers side next to the black tank drain.

I thought on the original spec sheet it showed a picture of the inside of the tank with the sprayer action, part of there selling point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>