Topic Closed2 down, hundreds to go

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 down, hundreds to go
    Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 3:50pm
Wife, dogs and I did our second "shake-down" run this week in Northwest Illinois.

We're getting the setup down.

The first trip, last month, was too cold to use the plumbing. This trip was to get all systems tested.

The first trip led to only one newbie bone-head event. Left the pod back at storage with fridge shut. Went back to open a few days later -- found an avocado.

Second trip went smoothly. Really nice the day we set up but since we expected rain I rigged a awning from some trees. (Working on rope and tarp awning for the dome track this weekend.)

My newbie bone-head stunt this trip involved de-winterizing. I have the instructions from the forum printed and laminated. I've read them so many times that I didn't look at them before I started.

The next morning, after brushing my teeth I put some water in my cup to rinse -- "Damn! I left some scotch in that cup last night!"

But no, it was just a hint of anti-freeze! Upon reading the forum instructions I only left out one step -- low point drains! Probably won't do that again but may have found something to go with a splash of tonic water.

2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 3:59pm
Nice site!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:32pm
Looks like a Cercis canadensis in nearly full bloom . . . beautiful.  What campground were you at when you shot this, or is it you own private spot?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:54pm
White Pines State Park (Illinois DNR) Built in the 1930's by the CCC.
2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by RichC

My newbie bone-head stunt this trip involved de-winterizing. I have the instructions from the forum printed and laminated. I've read them so many times that I didn't look at them before I started.

The next morning, after brushing my teeth I put some water in my cup to rinse -- "Damn! I left some scotch in that cup last night!"

But no, it was just a hint of anti-freeze! Upon reading the forum instructions I only left out one step -- low point drains! Probably won't do that again but may have found something to go with a splash of tonic water.

And it's very SWEET...Propylene glycol is a food safe anti-freeze. It's can be toxic in giant doses. It's also used in foods as an additive!! It almost tastes like NutraSweet or aspartame. Beer makers especially use it in their operations for their cooling systems. They can't use common methanol or ethylene glycol.

It's used where incidental ingestion might be a possibility (like our RV water systems as you discovered). If it's used in a system for true anti-freeze purposes, many corrosion inhibitors are added to prevent the water system from being harmed. Propylene glycol can break down under high heat, and become corrosive, harming the cooling system.

I had to educate myself a bit about it because I have almost 20 gallons of it circulating in my ground source heat pump loop. It's been in there for 10 years now. Since the anti-freeze temps never exceed 80°F (Summer cooling mode), the corrosion inhibitors stay intact. I have to use a PH test kit each year, and a glycol refractometer to measure it's health.

And BTW that site looks so nice with the flowers starting their bloom. Happy camping.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 10:36am
I love this forum -- it even has science! Yes, it was sweet and seemed a bit fizzy, but that may be imagined. (My sample was mostly water).

The campsite was nice. My wife and I are really enjoying this early season mid-week camping. Illinois has some really nice state parks but in summer or nice weather on the weekends they can be loud and crowded. We've mostly been national forest campers.

campsite
2017 RP171
2018 Ford Explorer
 Post Reply Post Reply