R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDinette Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinette Table
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:36am
Pedestal bases are something over which one can trip when the table is not in place. Also, the table is fixed in one location when mounted on the pedestal. I like the idea of the table that can be moved as needed. I am not fond of the mechanism to raise and lower the one we have, but I don't know of a better alternative right now.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 12:26pm
The mount for the pedestal table is on the floor in the dinette centered in the space, out of a traffic area, unless, of course, you remove the table, but not a place one normally walks.  I had this type of table set up in 2 of 3 sailboats I owned and it was never a tripping problem; not even a stubbed toe in rough seas.  But, it is true, you can only use the table  with it's pedestal where the base plate is mounted.

So, the stock table that came with our pod stays stored under the bed, or left at home, when not in use for the dinette bed or a bigger dinette table top.  

But I solved the short height issue on the Costco table by making some leg extenders out of PVC pipe (also very light).  The original card table style legs on the Costco table are still there, so if I want to set up a 30" high table outside, all I do is unfold the card table legs, put the leg extenders on, and, viola, I have a standard height table.  What I need to do next is try to figure out some alternate uses for the 4 PVC pipes so they will have a secondary function.  

My biggest concern with the pedestal table system is whether the floor plywood is sturdy enough to hold the 8, or so mounting screws, I had to use.  Since the plywood is supposedly 2 layers of 3/8ths luan over the foam, I think I'll be ok.  But I certainly wouldn't stand on the table.  😱
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:07pm
I read several other RV  type forums-this one is is the best. 

However, my point is that a LOT of people don't like their tables no matter what brand or what model.  The industry has tried several types(folding, pedestal, hinged) and they all work more or less.  Different people have different needs for their table.  when you add in the requirement that it has to break down and serve as part of the bed you have really increased the difficulty factors.

Because it serves many functions, the table is difficult to design.  Then we add in the characteristics of sturdiness and steadiness, appearance, weight and all of the other wants/needs.  It's really hard to get all of that in one piece . 

We eliminated the need for the bed function and designed and built a table that we love.  We eat on it, do computer work, play games and use it for a food prep area .  It has a tough top and finish so it doesn't scratch easily, it folds compactly for traveling(lies flat on the dinette seat), is easy to operate, can be moved for outside use and is quite sturdy.  It can be used for 2, 3, or 4 people.  Those are the features that we needed for our use.  Other people have  different needs and requirements.

I used 3/4 cabinet grade plywood, piano hinges, star bolts and wood insert nuts, aluminum bar stock  and finished it with 6 coats of Woodworker's Supply tabletop varnish. 
You can see pictures of the table in our mod page noted in our signature.

Travel safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Pod People

(text deleted) We eliminated the need for the bed function and designed and built a table that we love.  We eat on it, do computer work, play games and use it for a food prep area .  It has a tough top and finish so it doesn't scratch easily, it folds compactly for traveling(lies flat on the dinette seat), is easy to operate, can be moved for outside use and is quite sturdy.  It can be used for 2, 3, or 4 people.  Those are the features that we needed for our use.  Other people have  different needs and requirements.

I used 3/4 cabinet grade plywood, piano hinges, star bolts and wood insert nuts, aluminum bar stock  and finished it with 6 coats of Woodworker's Supply tabletop varnish. 
You can see pictures of the table in our mod page noted in our signature.

Travel safe
Vann

The legs look a lot like the ones on an old sewing table my wife got that I think belonged to her grandmother. That would probably be a good size one to take along if we really need to save some space and weight. One such situation is when we go to pick up our R-Pod from the factory after it is fixed. We won't have room to take the stock table, but the old sewing table would probably fit in the truck nicely.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
MnCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:42pm
I too have found it a bit tough to slide past the table, although my gut could be smaller. Has anyone tried cutting 2 holes to allow the table legs to slide into the storage area under the dinette seat? This should allow the table to move 4-6 inches and allow 2 people to sit on one side of the table. 
I'm hoping for suggestions, or I will try something on my own.
Skip & Terry
2017 RP171 - The Rolling Remedy
2010 Dodge Ram
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:20am
P.S. The new feet are working perfectly. You can adjust each one as necessary.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:28pm
I have a problem with the table. If my wife and I are the only ones camping we do not take the table. We take a couple of folding trays. Typically we eat outside weather permitting. If my daughter goes with us then we need the table to make the third person bed.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:26pm
rawest50, we've been using the table set up I described above for a while and it's working well.  We keep the original table top (with the pedestal mount attached to the bottom) in the storage area under our bed and if we need to make the dinette into a bed, it's ready to go.  If we need a larger table there, we can also set it up with the pedestal post.  Usually, we use the 30x30 Costco plastic table for the dinette and it's is much easier to get in and out, and as said, we can also take it outside and set it up with the card table style folding legs.

I still have the old scissor type folding legs in the garage.  They're heavy and tend to pinch fingers, so eventually, I'll probably get rid of them or use them for a table at home.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Kris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:08am
Would it be possible for you to post a picture
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:46am
Kris, I'm going to try to tackle the Google photo thing today to see if I can post some of the table modification.  If I can figure it out, I'll post some photos of the set up asap.  If you'd like, pm me with your email address and I'll send you some pictures via email during the weekend.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>