R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDinette Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinette Table
    Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:01am
I like the dinette table. Don't understand why they couldn't have made it with lighter metal. I notice that the cut off corner allows you to get in and out to sit down. It is a little tight though (glad I'm not overweight). You can push it away a little, but I wonder if I cut about 1 inch off the length of the 4 base ends, if it will allow me to slide it over a little more, making it more comfortable. But I hesitate, because maybe it was designed that way..maybe as long as it's working I won't bother. I don't want to compromise stability, especially when I use it as a bed. It doesn't look like it would, but I'm not a gambling man. And those footpads, can you adjust the height of them individually?
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:09pm
Nobody willing to tackle this one huh?
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:14pm
Not quite sure what you are trying to do. You can cut an inch off the table bottom supports and relocate the plastic feet but that doesn't change the table dimensions. The table dimensions make your dinette bed. My table is adjustable to two positions up and down. Dinette and bed. Each leg is not independently adjustable. If it's working, it's working.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:31pm
This is what I came up with, the table can slide back and forth and can be locked in any position.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 9:34am
Mike, just trying to enlarge the space getting in and out to set down at the table. As is, it's a tight fit. An inch on each side would allow you to push it a little further away...
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:23pm
Henryv,

I think you can shorten the bottom of the table supports to fit your needs. An inch will not make any difference to the table. 2 inches in this case.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:28pm
It will be  just a bit less stable is all i see.  May need to actually secure it when traveling so doesn't turn over and scratch the floor or something else. You might consider some riser feet to make it a bit taller as well, that will help ingress and egress too. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:52am
I solved my problem. My 171 has a different table than the one pictured here. It has one corner cut off. That was done to provide a better access to sit down. But it was a too narrow passage. I went to Lowes and got 4 metal screw in feet(same thread) about an inch or so diam. (dark brown metal and flat on bottom)..then 4 stick on felt-like pads for the bottom (Allows good sliding). This brought the Table down a little because before it was hitting on the extending ledge above the wainscotting. Now it just clears that (under that ledge)..making the table a little lower and more comfortable, and the space for getting in and out around the cut off corner a little bigger. Maybe 2 inches wider. Perfect! This might not be a good idea if you plan to take the table in and out of the camper. The existing feet are more durable. I'm not going to struggle with that heavy booger. It's staying right where it is. If I need a table outside..I'll use something else!
mountainman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 11:17pm
My #172 had the standard large, heavy table which I felt was too big for the space making it hard to get in and out of the dinette. Then what to do with it when not it's not needed?
I decided on one of the small lightweight collapsible plastic tables from Camping World. It's not pretty but it works just fine for my wife and I, or me and the two grandkids. And it store's easily in the storage under the bottom bunk.
When the dinette is needed for sleeping a 3/4" thick piece of plywwod sits on rails I installed; it stores easily under one of the bunk mattresses.
mountainman
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:43am
I did something similar.  Bought a short leg plastic folding table, about 30"x30," at Costco and mounted it onto a pedestal base to use for the dining table.  It is more than adequate for 2 or 3 people to eat and is very light weight.  With the old table, I took off those awkward folding legs that always trapped me trying to get in and out and put one of the pedestal base rings on it too.  Now I can use either table with a simple post holding it up.  I store the old table under the bed and can take it out any time I need to convert the dinette into sleeping space.  

The net effect is that the new table and pedestal base weigh less than the original folding legs for the stock table, thus had an overall weight reduction.  Also, we can take it outside, extend the folding legs and have a nice little "coffee table" to set up between folding chairs for "cocktail hour."   

I'm not sure why so many trailer builders use the folding table legs when the pedestal bases are lighter and less costly.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>