R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLubrication

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lubrication
    Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:07am
Please tell me what, if anything requires lubrication...like the bathroom fan...
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:49am
If you have a slide-out, it likely has a Schwintec mechanism. DoinyourselfRV has a video on how to lubricate that. I also lubricate the rollers that support the slide from underneath.

Your steps need lubricating as will the jack screws on your stabilizer jacks along with the pivot points. There isn't much else that needs lubrication. The Fantastic Fan in the bathroom should not need to be lubricated. However, you may need to lubricate the lifting mechanism for the cover if it is sticking.

I have found it necessary to lubricate the door hinge, especially after our winter trips where there was road salt. The hinge is supposed to be stiff to hold it in place. However, it had gotten extremely stiff and was not moving smoothly. I used some lubricant with Teflon and it helped. While you are at it, give the locking mechanism a shot also.

I can't think of any other places that need lubricating. If there are, someone else will post it, I'm sure.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:26am
While not exactly lubricating our dealer told us to frequently use CAMCO slide out conditioner on the rubber.  This prevents it from drying out, cracking and leaking.  He also said whenever you use the slide out check to see the rubber is all aligned in one direction facing out.  Sometimes a piece gets stuck in and will allow water in.  Just stick your finger in and pull it out.  Sure enough on our first trip there were two spots where it stuck.  When we got home we cleaned the rubber (they were very dusty) put on the conditioner and no more sticking.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:34am
I know the wheel bearings need grease, but not clear on how often.  i am thinking about every 5000 miles but need some feedback on that recommendation from the forum.

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 3:18am
Originally posted by texman

I know the wheel bearings need grease, but not clear on how often.  i am thinking about every 5000 miles but need some feedback on that recommendation from the forum.

The recommended wheel bearing repacking interval is in the packet of manufacturer's information that came with your Rpod. I don't remember what that was. But check there. I need to figure how many miles I towed last year to see if my RPod 171 needs grease.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 3:58pm
I do mine 1x/year in the spring.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:03pm
Here is the link to everything you need to know about the Lippert axles used on Rpods as well as the greasing intervals based on the axles weight. Also you will find the part numbers for the replacement bearing and seals as well as the proper grease used in repacking bearings. https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Axles%20and%20Suspension/Trailer_Axle_2K_7K_Owner_s_Manual__half_book_.pdf.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:08pm
Page 30 clearly states the bearings need to be inspected and repacked at 12,000 miles or yearly, which ever comes first.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:11pm
This link will take you to the Lippert axle site which clearly explains all your questions.

Post Reply Post Reply