R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many don't use WD hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many don't use WD hitch?
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:09pm
We have a Ford Expedition and have pulled our 2015 179 without a WD hitch for over two years without problems .  We do use a friction sway control though.  For a year or so, we did bring the WD bars along too, just in case.  Never expected to need them and have not put them on.

Now, I leave them at home.  With a big tow vehicle, the Pod tows almost like nothing was back there. 

Maybe the bars would be needed with a minivan...?
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
craigwood View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:16pm
We tow our 2015 179 with a 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost - no sway control or WD.  Not a lot of tow miles on this vehicle yet but the old '92 F250 diesel pulled the Rpod with no problems and no WD or sway control
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by TigerPawd

We have a Ford Expedition and have pulled our 2015 179 without a WD hitch for over two years without problems .  We do use a friction sway control though.  For a year or so, we did bring the WD bars along too, just in case.  Never expected to need them and have not put them on.

Now, I leave them at home.  With a big tow vehicle, the Pod tows almost like nothing was back there. 

Maybe the bars would be needed with a minivan...?

You should try them, our 2 Expys rode much better with the WDH set up.
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:57pm
I pull with both a F150 eco-boost supercrew, and a F250 superduty, supercab. 
I added the inexpensive friction sway control to see if it would help when towing in the high winds and bumpy roads around Wy and Mt. that tend to bounce the Hood River 177 around, especially at highway speeds.  
It helps a lot IMO and I always use it.  Prior to the install I received some pretty big sway a couple of times.  
None since.
Easy cheap fix for me but if I pulled with "lesser" tow vehicles I'm sure I'd go for the WDH.

rkreeves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:41pm
Going out first trip loaded tomorrow morning (new 2017 #179), no weight distribution, ONLY A Hayes electronic sway control. Loaded I'm about 55% of tow capacity. Front end of truck looks a wee bit higher than I'd like but it's only 3 hours to destination so not too worried. I will micromanage tongue weight next trip. If I end up peeing myself I'll reconsider my strategy. Hauling the pod home from the dealer with 2/3full H2O tank was a piece of cake. This from someone who has never towed a trailer before. Bodes well methinks.
2017.5 RPOD 179
2017 Tacoma 6,400# tow limit
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:40am
Please let us know how the Hayes No-Sway works for you. I bought one after our accident last December, but have not been able to really try it out since we have not been able to make any trips. Our 179 is at the factory for repair and the Hayes No-Sway is in a box at home waiting for us to go to pick up the R-Pod when repairs are complete.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:09pm
I tow our 2017 RP-179 with a 2005 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L V8.  We are using the Fastway E2 WDH.  We made 4 trips for a total of about 1,400 miles.  One trip was in crosswinds up to 40 mph.  Never a hint of sway, even when passing the big rigs, going down steep downhill grades, or on some of the uneven mountain roads we've driven.  I thought the WDH might be unnecessary and an unneeded cost when the dealer included it in the package with the 179, but I'm now a believer.  I don't need to remove the Fastway E2 when backing up, and it takes just a minute or two to assemble it before towing.  The portion with the hitch ball that goes into the receiver on the TV is pretty heavy, much heavier than a standard stem with a ball, and I wouldn't want to carry it very far.  It also sticks out pretty far behind the vehicle, so I remove it from the TV after parking the 179.  My brother-in-law tows with a RAM 1500 without a WDH and has no issues, but that is a much bigger and heavier vehicle than my Dakota. You will have to judge your needs based on your TV and tolerance for risk. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:32pm
Consider getting a HitchGrip. It will help you maneuver that heavy hitch head. I use it with our Equal-i-zer hitch head which is similar to the one on the E2. It is worth the money.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:23pm
I think I'm just gonna try towing without sway control. I am not wild about not being able to back up without disconnecting or breaking something. I may try a wdh if one came up for cheap. That was the only thing I noticed when I towed it home, a little bouncey
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:40am
The Equalizer WDH has integrated sway control and you can back up without undoing anything.  I agree, not being able to back up would be a significant inconvenience.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>