Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with kids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod or pop up for family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod or pop up for family
    Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:56pm
When looking to go from tent to trailer... One choice was the A-liner. Looked at it seriously. But same thing as pop-up. If its raining going up or down... Stuff would get wet before you got the frame up. Went with the pod.   Glad we did. Not as good gas milage... but everything is dry.. :)
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:23pm
Over the years we've had 3 pop-ups....and experienced everything mentioned here.  We got rid of our last pop up for the Pod.......Pod is much better in every respect......could never go back to the pop up world!
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
MacNagPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 3:29pm
Everything everyone has said is legitimate. Now I have used a popup for 20 years after tenting for many years before. Two kids from 6 months and 4 years old until both in teens with a large yellow lab.  I loved being able to sleep "outside"! Had an attached 8x 10 screen room which doubled the space. Stove came outside and attached to propane hookups in the screened part. Many rainy days and nights. Yes, packing a wet camper was a pain but no big deal setting it up when we got home.. Needed to do some cleaning anyway! Easy to tow 1500lbs dry weight. Much less stuff to go wrong than a trailer. Retiring now and ready to do more traveling and an RPod fits our needs now with extended season camping and longer stays. I will miss sleeping on the pullouts because I really loved the feeling of sleeping outside but much more comfortable, dry and no bugs. Know your needs and comfort level. Using park or campground facilities vs. dealing with black and gray water. A feeling of being outdoors while still protected inside or in a mini home environment. Packing much more carefully for a popup but keeping it simple too. So your past experiences along with current and future needs will help decide what you need and want.

Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:18am
I must say you brought back nostalgia in that last post. Our second camper ever was a pop-up, which we used for four years. We thought we had arrived when we purchased that unit, and going from tents and a small VW camper, we felt like kings. We liked the canvas, because we did feel open and tent-like but up from the ground. And not dealing with plumbing was really nice. We'd never go that route again, but at the time it definitely fit our needs.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 7:22pm
When we got rid of our 2 man pup tent,( my wife and I could no longer fit us and  2 kids in it) we went with a 4 man Rockwood pop-up.  Being a golf course superintendent I could only camp in the off months, April-May and Sept.-Nov., and got used to camping in the cold wet weather of the north.  As the family increased in size we upped our space to a 6-man Jayco, 22' long when open, that seemed like a lot of room.  However, we still had to deal with wet canvas and cold winds blowing through the canvas.  All our kids have fond memories of those days, being home-schooled, they enjoyed the many lessons that the great outdoors had to offer, but the day came when we were at Fort Wilkens State Park, in Copper Harbor, MI when we saw our first r-pod, that was October 2010.  Didn't take us too long to order our R-Pod.  That was in January 2011 and since we were used to boondocking we special ordered ours w/o A/C, the entertainment system and the microwave/convection oven.  Now 6 years later we have had no regrets, yes there have been 2 instances where it would have been nice to have A/C but since we were in areas where there was no electricity anyway, it didn't matter, we were just a bit on the warm side.  As far as cooking, we do ours outside over charcoal or sometimes on the stove inside, especially if it is snowing, sleeting or rainy/windy outside.  We don't miss the wet/cold canvas or the 7 minutes it would take to set up or take down the Jayco. The R-Dome has been used a lot as well, doubling the space of the pod.  The pod takes only a few minutes to set up: level left to right, front to back, put down the stabilizers, put out the slide, all done, it is a wonderful unit.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12