R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire issues
    Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:59am
My wife and I are supposed to pick
Up our new r-179 in mid June. Two weeks later we are going to head out from Indiana to the north east. VT, Me, NH..
A while back I was reading on here that the factory tires are not good quality and podders were experiencing blowouts. What do you guys know about this? Should we plan on getting a new set of tires ASAP. I will want to be ablle to pull
70 MPH and not worry about a tire blowing out and ripping the fender off and doing more damage. This maiden voyage is 2700 miles. Please give me your input.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:13am
Some of us have opted for the D rated tires versus the C rated our Pods came with. The D rated tire has a higher speed rating and air pressure increase to 65 lbs. I went with Carlisle's in a 14. I think your new Pod has 15s.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:05pm
We ran our factory C rated tires on our 177 for 5 years, no issues, although I normally drive 65 MPH or less.  Last year we replaced our tires, due to the fact they we nearly 6 years old with another set of C rated tires.  So far we have put 25,000 miles on our pod with no tire issues.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:32pm
I think it depends on the model of R-Pod and the weight you are asking the tires to carry. The lighter 'Pods are probably okay with load range C tires. However, the 179 is at the top end of the tire's load range. If the trailer is loaded unevenly, it could mean that one side of the R-Pod is exceeding the rated capacity, even if the total weight is still within the limits for the pair. Going to load range D tires means that there is an extra margin of capacity and thus, and extra margin of safety. This is not a "one size fits all" situation. You need to evaluate your situation and choose the tire with the right capacity for your use. I chose to go with load range D tires.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:48pm
Is a D rated tire still a trailer tire or is it a small truck tire? What is the speed rating on a D rated tire? I have a 2017 179 but I think it is a 14 inch rim.  Where is the best place to buy a tire? A trailer shop? What kind of tire is the best tire? I'm not real confident in the tire that is on the pod and 65 mph limit is pretty low I think so I want to replace it. 
2017 R-pod 179
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:29am

Yes, you would still want a "trailer tire" (ST) and they can be had in a "D" rating and more. Speed rating - I don't believe any are tested (and therefore approved) for use above 60mph.

Best tire? -depends on who you ask. My last tire(s) purchased were Carlisle from Discount Tire. I've been please with them.

Here is some handy info:    http://www.discounttire.com/learn/trailer-tire-faqs
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:37am
Thank you David. 
2017 R-pod 179
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:01am

You are welcome!

I think the issue of concern with "C" rated tires on the Pod is -
"C" rated tires are rated (if memory serves) for 1750lbs (each) at the maximum inflation. 2 on the Pod would = 3500lbs total capacity. A fully loaded Pod can approach this maximum. Throw in a certain amount of under-inflation and failure is increasingly possible.

From my research, and as best as I can tell, under-inflation is the biggest killer of trailer tires. When under-inflated, the sidewalls flex more than they should and this builds up heat, which weakens and ruins the tire. Personally, I check my tires inflation before EVERY trip.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:19am
The last tires I purchased were Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205/75R14 105M D1 BSB tires. These are load range D and are rated for 2,040 lbs each or 4,080 for the pair.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by StephenH

The last tires I purchased were Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205/75R14 105M D1 BSB tires. These are load
range D and are rated for 2,040 lbs each or 4,080 for the pair.

We upgraded to the same tires after two of our factory tires blew out on the same trip. We have a 179. We will be undertaking a trip from Texas to Colorado later this year, so we'll get to see how they do on the long haul.

UV is another tire killer. Make sure if you store the Pod outdoors that at least the tires are covered.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>