Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedscreen tent vs r-dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: screen tent vs r-dome
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 10:58pm
How much would one of these cost? We almost drove all the way to Detroit for an Rpod that had it included! We just bought our first Rpod, a 2016 179.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:04am
Congratulations and welcome!

I can't answer your question. However, an R-Dome would not be as affordable as a free-standing screen tent. Our 2016 RP179 did not come with one. One of my mods was to make an awning. After we had an accident and it had to go to the factory for repair, we were able to get one of the Thule awnings installed (also not cheap and not possible without the wall being replaced for the additional reinforcement needed). However, in our case, the awning works out better for us and our needs.

I hope you have many great adventures with your 179 and make many wonderful memories in the process. We have probably over 20,000 miles of travel with ours so far. I've made a number of modifications to ours (see link in signature), some of which might be useful to you as you turn your R-Pod into your own special version. Smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 11:23am
I use the dome all the time. I just had it set up for an 8 day stay at the beach. It was priceless!! From bug protection (sand flies, and horse flies were horrible) to shade from the 100 degree sun everyday, and then the protection from 2 huge thunderstorms that blew thru for an hour or so, dumping tons of water. Infact I was totally shocked at how well the dome did in one storm. A thunderstorm snuck up on us, and it was a doozey. The wind was whipping, I cringed in the dome, hoping it survived. The wind was blowing it up like a balloon and I waited for the pop, as i held onto one side hoping to keep it from flying away. Suddenly, the wind stopped, then the rain stopped. I went out and looked around. The dome stood proudly, unscathed. So many of the screenhouses, and structures around me didn't fare that well. I can attest, atleast in this one instance, the dome absolutely is amazing. Nearby was a class A motorhome that had an awning, with the attached hanging panels to form a screen/rain room, his didn't survive. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
itsjoprairie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:57pm
Did you get the dome when you purchased the camper? Do you remember how much it was?
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:52pm
My dome came with the camper. I see them offered at times on here for 250. 300. But they can easily cost 500 - 800 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
Barryb125 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:08pm
Thanks, are you happy with the way the bottom portion attaches to the bottom of your R Pod? I see there are two manufacturers. Pahaque and Domestic. Can you tell me who made yours? Thanks Barry
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:20pm
Ours came included with our 177 BUT, that was back in 2011.  Ours is a Dometic, and has been a terrific addition to our r-pod. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:16am
We bought a used 179 that did not have the R dome. We had a 173 for 6 years and used the rdome a lot and loved it. So we wanted a dome for the new to us 179. We negotiated a half/ half payment deal with the dealer and paid $350 for the correct dome. It listed for $700.
We have used the rdome on 2 different rpods now and I can honestly say that it is great. We have been in rain, thunderstorms and wind storms and it has held up.we can easily install it it with 2 people in 10 minutes and then have privacy, shade and more room . I would not be without it.It is an integral part of our rpod
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Barryb125

Thanks, are you happy with the way the bottom portion attaches to the bottom of your R Pod? I see there are two manufacturers. Pahaque and Domestic. Can you tell me who made yours? Thanks Barry

Yes i have the screen that attaches to the bottom keder rail. I cut mine into 3 pieces that make it easier for me to put it in. I then use notebook binder clips i got at staples and clip the back of the dome to the bottom screens, and i clip the bottom screens together. Once I get done (5 minutes) there are very few points of entry for bugs.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 4:37pm
The RDome is far more useful than the new Thule Awning, however more involved to set up. So flexible, can have the sides rolled up if sunny, zip down to protect inside of Rdome from Rain, or mosquito proof your set up if buggy, and virtually doubles the amount of space. We always put dinette table outside to free up space inside, as never eat inside. 
Outdoorsy Marc
2016 Rpod 179
2017 Kia Sorento SXL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>