Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeer Collision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer Collision
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:22pm
To begin with, we do not yet have an Rpod or any other camper, but we are seriously considering buying one, and this experience has me wondering "what if" this had happened while towing.

Several days ago we were on a major interstate in our minivan, going about 70 mph on a straight and level stretch of dry road, with light to moderate traffic ahead and behind, in mid-afternoon, when a deer ran right in front of us.  I had seen the deer with just enough time to hit the brakes, but not much braking time, so I'm guessing we were still going at least 50 mph when we hit it, just slightly to the passenger side of the grill's dead center (no pun intended).  No glancing blow here, but instead a full-on body slam, and the deer was dead before it hit the pavement.

We didn't lose control of the vehicle, no skidding, sliding, or swerving, no air bag deployment, and we were able to quickly pull over to report the deer strike and check for damage to our vehicle.  No other vehicles were involved or had to make panic maneuvers.  So aside from a very dead deer and about $5k in repair estimates (body work and new radiator), this was mostly a non-event.

So now I'm wondering if pulling a trailer, like an Rpod 171 for example, could have significantly changed the outcome for this kind of accident.  If I was pulling a trailer, it is unlikely I'd be going as fast to begin with, more likely 60-65 mph before braking, even slower if on a secondary road, but aside from that, would the mass of the trailer, assuming properly operating electric brakes and well under a ratio of 80% weight to TV rating, have made things worse?  Would the trailer help keep the TV going straight?  Or would it possibly put an external sideways force on the rear of the TV through the hitch?

I know from lurking on this forum for a while that there are a lot of you with a lot of experience pulling a camper, and I'm wondering if any of you have hit a deer while towing.  I know one member has mentioned 31 confirmed deer strikes, but it's not clear if any of those were while towing.

So I'd really like to hear about anybody's experience with hitting a deer while towing, and how the trailer may have affected the outcome for better or worse.

...Sidewinder
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:40pm
While I never was towing anything with my 31 deer kills, I have seen numerous accidents involving deer in our area.  All I have personally seen or witnessed is a much slower response in slowing down the TV before impact occurs.  Many of the accidents have resulted in the towing vehicles totalled or nearly so yet the trailers behind them remained unscathed.  It is a scary thing to know you are about to hit/kill a deer, knowing you cannot do anything to avoid it.  Nearly every deer this F-150 truck has killed is on a 5 mile journey to my place of employment.  I normally drive my stick-shift in 3rd gear at about 35 mph on my way to work and just a few weeks ago, another deer jumped out in front of me, I hit it broadside but it kept on going, so it didn't count or add to my 31 total.  The outcome may be different if on a curve verses a straight road, then again you most likely will be traveling slower on curvy roads verses straight ones.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:48pm
Got a few deer notches on my belt, but got most of them with cruisers.
We were towing our 179 two years ago and a guy a little ways in front of us had a mattress and box spring come undone and fly off the roof of his van. We were able to hit the brakes hard and come to a stop without running anything over. I was pretty impressed with how we were able to stop.
We were doing about 60 which is our usual highway speed.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:25pm
I doubt that hitting a big deer (or moose) is much different than smashing into many more immovable objects with your TV. As Leo notes, the more important thing is that your brake controller and hitch hardware is functioning properly.

For the first time in years, I "locked her up" on I95 this past winter - a senior moment and following too close an high speed. I was incredibly impressed how the trailer locked up a millisecond after my TV locked up and tracked perfectly straight. It happened and was over in half a second and the only damage was the really angry stares and comments I got from Henry (the camping cat and co-pilot).

fred

P.S. Do you get to keep the deer if it ends up on your (car) grill?!
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:36pm
In Vermont (if your a resident) the Wardens will usually let you keep the deer or moose if the meat isn't totally destroyed.
Gotten several deer and a moose that way.
Though the meat doesn't usually out weigh the damage to the vehicles

Tell Henry that's why he needs to be seat belted.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Tell Henry that's why he needs to be seat belted.

You try to tell Henry anything! He's a teenager....and a cat.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:38pm
LOL
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:56pm
+1 to fwunder. Very important your equipment is set up and working right. I had a guy pass right before a traffic light, then slam on his brakes to stop for the yellow, the whole rig braked and stayed straight. I think he could hear me talking to him in my best former Marine DI language.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 6:34pm
The one time I really had to slam on the brakes hard was on a not-too-well marked exit in Las Vegas which curved very sharply to the right. The Escape and RP-179 slowed with remarkable grace and speed. The trailer tracked well, and we did not add to the marks on the concrete barrier wall. I'm impressed with how well the trailer brakes work, especially with the proportional controller.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Sidewinder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:55am
Thanks, everybody.  It sounds like towing may not make much difference for something like this after all. 
 Post Reply Post Reply