R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGolf Cart Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golf Cart Batteries
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:58pm
There is no doubt that GC batteries are better than the typical group 24 or group 27 batteries usually found on the pod.  The usual GC battery is the Trojan 105 or equivalent.  This is good, but there is a better choice.  Two Trojan 105s provide 225 amp hours of storage.  Consider the Trojan 145s that provide 265 amp hours of storage in the same footprint.  The 145 is just a bit taller than the 105.  The additional 40 amp hours of storage are worth the additional expense.  I wish I had known this before buying the 105s
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:01pm
Are you boondocking? Do you have a solar panel?

I ask because my plan was to get two T-105's , previously I had two 12 volt Interstate batteries. No problems for a weekend, but I was interested in going a full week, and not use a generator at all if possible (relying on solar charging).

I don't think I would need to use the furnace, I would use a portable ceramic propane heater (MrBuddy Heater) instead (uses no electricity) and crack a couple windows and the vent. I've done it before and it works great.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:27pm
We really like our buddy heater, we use in the camper and the fishing shanty. Works great!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:41pm
The cheap price on Amazon for the T145 is $309 -- $189 + $120 shipping.  A Duracell Ultra 255 ah is $196 with a 10% discount (about $176 total per battery) if picked up in store at Batteries + Bulbs.

There may be better prices for the T145, I haven't looked very hard, but 2 T145 come to $618 vs $352 for two Duracells.  You could almost get 2 Duracells and a 100w Renolgy solar suitcase for the price of two Trojans.

I don't know much about batteries, so which is the better deal? 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:06pm
 Two T-105's is a LOT of capacity if you don't use the furnace. And much cheaper too.

Have to watch out for the additional weight as well, one regular 12 volt marine/RV battery is about 48 pounds ( 96 pounds for two) . Use two T-105 is 62 pounds each (124 pounds) .A T-145 is 72 pounds each (144 pounds). It adds up fast. And it goes to the hitch tongue  weight. Watch your hitch safe tow limits!!
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:21pm
We are beginning year #7 on our 2  group size 24  12v deep cycle batteries. During a boondocking campout we expect 3 days minimum from each battery and that is when we camp when the furnace gets used quite a bit (night temps 40's and 50's).  When these go bad we will most likely go to 2  6v or 2  12v golf cart batteries.  Looking at amp hours for each, price, and of course total weight.  Will report back when results come in.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:31pm
I went with dual Duracell's (Deka) back in 2014. Couldn't be happier...so far.

As far as heat goes, I have both the Buddy and just recently got Lil Buddy. Lil buddy (3800 BTU) is a better fit inside pod. Buddy (4000-9000 BTU) will blast you out. Both are capable of hooking up to larger tanks than the one pounders. I do use and refill the one pounders for convenience, but I like the larger tank option for longer run time.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:45pm
My Duracell batteries have held up well since we bought them in December, 2015. On our last trip, after our propane hose went bad and left us without heat, I picked up a Lil Buddy. It went back for the simple reason that it is top-heavy when used with the one-pound bottles. Back when the base of the bottles was made of metal, it would probably have wirked. Now that the new bottles come with a plastic ring, I could not get it to reliably sit upright. It kept falling over. That was unacceptable and indicates a design flaw if it will not stay upright.
I now have the Mr. Buddy Portable (4000-9000) unit. I agree that it is a bit much for the 'Pod, but it will at least stay upright and not fall over. The thing is that if Mr. Buddy would simply make the base bigger and the socket for the tank deeper, it would probably fix the issues I was having with it. I was not disappointed with the performance and would have kept it if not for it falling over almost every time I tried to use it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:59pm
You're right Stephen. The Lil Buddy does seem a little top heavy. My Coleman Burner feels the same with a big pot on it..  One solution is a wider base like this: https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-194-B-Propane-Cylinder-Base/dp/B001DC7FPM

The one pounders I have don't have the plastic ring, so maybe that helps.

Or, for a few bucks you can make up a tank adapter for stability and much longer (and cheaper) run time. This is a one gallon tank - good for 4+ one pounders.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:06pm
How much ventilation - fresh air does one need to run the little buddy?  I used to use one in our tent trailer but fresh air was not a concern in that rig....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>