R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod floorplan plagiarism??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod floorplan plagiarism??
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:41am
http://rv.campingworld.com/starcraft-satellite-showroom?utm_campaign=ASH23997&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&scpc=ASH23997

Maybe y'all have already discussed this or recognized the copycats out there.  Just didn't realize how identical they are.  Floorplan 18DS is the exact duplicate of the 179.  And even the shape is identical with the exception of the cut-out in the front.  The 17RB is the 180 and the 16KS is the 178.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery??   They even have the "Extreme Package" which gives 5" extra ground clearance.

Starcraft is owned by Jayco. 
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:56am
Winnebago was the first to clone the RPOD 179 and 180 models two years ago.  Forest River has a lawsuit against them.  Last year Jayco cloned both as well with their Hummingbird model.  Forest River is not bothering to sue.  The Starcraft is a Jayco Hummingbird made exclusively for Camping World.  All the copies are more expensive and have features which I believe make them less desirable than the RPOD.  Why buy a more expensive knockoff when you can get the original?
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:10am
We looked at some of the copycats, the Hummingbird was very nice and included a few things our 179 did not but at a much steeper price. What really stood out about the pod was the weight, and tongue weight, the copy cats were all heavier dry, and on the tongue. Not sure why that is but it was important to us because we have to tow with a smaller SUV. We're convinced we made the right decision, we're new to this but love the 179.
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:23pm
The saga continues.  Remember the first to copy the r-pods shape and floorplan?  Go back to the year 2010 and check out Heartland MPG.  Forest River sued.  Now we have a bunch of other hopefuls who will probably end up like the Heartland MPG, like the Winnebago Winne-drop, the Jayco Hummingbird, the Starcraft Satellite, and did I miss any others?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:38pm
We camp with friends who have a Pod copy that was made by a company that was sued and no longer makes them.  They have a slide that contains the kitchen.  they have had a LOT of trouble with various systems and components over the 5 years we have traveled together. .  There were leaks in the kitchen drains, toilet supply leaks, slides mis-alignment, electrical problems, battery issues  and many others.  currently it is in the repair shop for a "soft floor" which apparently is due to a long term toilet leak in the middle of the trailer and a roof leak at the end.

these people are not causing these problems.  They take care of the trailer, store it properly and maintain it with a local dealer. They are not particularly handy or do it your selfers to a large degree.  They have paid to make a LOT of repairs. Frankly, if I was in their shoes , I would have sold this lemon years ago!

The quality that I have seen in their unit is much lower than what we have.  The components look good and seem to be quality materials on par with our Pod.  Some of their issues have been installation errors and manufacturer problems. Other issues have been "breakdown"  or component failures.

Overall, I can say that our 2009 173 is a much better built trailer with better overall quality than their non-pod copy.  I 'm not sure if  this comparison can be universally applied to all of the pod copiers, but neither of the 2 units that I have personally seen are as good as the R Pod.

Safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 6:11pm
Thanks Vann for a real life experience with one the the copies, I am guessing it was the Heartland MPG.  They were the original "imitators" of the genuine r-pod.  I hope many others read your post, now may I say "a word to the wise?"
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Triple8Sol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 2:55pm
Well, it looks like the lawsuit against Winnebago (unlike the one against Heartland) was thrown out by the judge and subsequently dropped by Forest River.

https://rv-pro.com/news/forest-riverwinnebago-lawsuit-dropped
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:40pm
how could ya throw it out?  even the name, winnie "drop"  as in rpod. they just rearranged the letters to spell "drop" 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:07pm
I guess sales were not being hurt from the clones. Especially since they were more expensive and did not appear to be better.  From the article it looks like FR did not meet the standards for an infringement lawsuit and felt is was not worth the expense to do more legal homework so they agreed with the judge to drop the suit.  It does not mean they had no case or would have lost.  I am glad FR is not rolling in money from ripping us off so that they can hire a bunch of high priced lawyers to sue whoever copies them. They are making a quality product (yes I have read about all the issues but they are not design issues but rather the result of trying to push too many out the door to reduce costs) and sell them at a more than reasonable price.  Thus they can beat the competition on the street and do not need a courtroom. 
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:16pm
+1 - Richand Cindy
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>