FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPricing Help for a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pricing Help for a newbie
    Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 1:36pm
Hi there! 
We are looking to purchase a 177. I found a used 2014 for 10,998 and a new one for $15,997 (both at dealers). Can anyone share if those prices are normal? I can't seem to find blue book or any info on Rpods. I don't see very many used ones here in the west coast either.

Thanks a bunch!

Debbie
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 1:42pm
Go to NADA blue book. You the select RV and from there it's pretty intuitive. You can research values on older models. Good luck!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:26pm
I just bought a used one on the west coast for 13000. It is a 2015 178 hre. I looked for awhile and thought I better jump on that one after not seeing many out there.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 5:32am
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Don&Amy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:11pm
Hi Debbie and welcome!

I just ordered a new (2018) 178 and the cost was $14,750. It's not a HRE, but that may help you a bit in your search.
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 7:42pm
Location matters. Shipping costs money. The farther you are from the factory, the higher the price.

Also the relative number of r-pods in the area can drive prices up or down. When I had mine on the market I was getting inquiries from hundreds of miles away.

How far are you willing to look for an r-pod? New ones come with a dealer who can do warranty work, but used ones can be serviced anywhere and that may increase your range.

NADA prices are averages and may or may not reflect your local market so use them as guidance, but in the end the market rules.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 8:20pm
Used R-Pods won't all be priced the same even if they are identical in year and model. Because the original owners may have all paid highly different prices. So, someone who paid $18,000 new and another who paid $14,000 new will ask different prices when selling used.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Old & out-to-play View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:46am
Something to think about when dealing with dealers.  We purchased a new 177 HRE with electronic jack lift from a major nation wide dealership for $17,000 + change OUT THE DOOR...includes tax and license.

Dealers are notorious for adding additional fees to the negotiated sales price and I hate having to haggle with them over the "garbage fees". So we only negotiate based on "out the door" pricing.  They don't like it but too bad.

Dealer markups run as high as 33%.  Keep in mind that there is a "flooring charge" (if you aren't familiar with the term, look it up) that's built into the pricing.  The longer the unit sits on the lot the higher the flooring charge (cost) that can't be passed onto the costumer.

The worst time to buy a unit is when the season begins as the demand is high and their flooring cost is low.  The best time to buy is post season when the snow is on the ground, they've incurred 9 months of flooring costs and there isn't another costumer in sight. That's when they are most vulnerable and willing to make the best deals so they don't have to "carry the unit" until next season and try to sell last year's model after the new model comes out.

Hope this helps.
Old and in the way so now it's time to play
debbie19 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:41am
Thank you so much for your comments and advice! I might just wait a few months until the season is over and try my luck then. I'm in no hurry. I do NOT like dealerships and the thought of haggling makes me ill. I'll keep reading this forum for info!
Old & out-to-play View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:37pm
Good move.  Here's the strategy that works for us.  We went to the dealership 3 times.

Trip 1 to look at the units & decide which model worked best for us after we had read up on all the models we were interested in.  We call this...to kick the tires & yuk-it-up with the salesman.

Trip 2 one month later, after checking the dealer stock online, we went back to the dealership to look at that particular unit in detail but also look at some other models, shook hands with the salesman and yuk it up again telling him we don't really know what we what to buy.  He took our name and email address again.  We received emails from the dealership but didn't respond.

Three weeks later I opened negotiations online with a rediculously low "out the door offer", they countered and I refused the offer.  Next week I sent them another offer but they said that they could not go that low.  Three days later I sent them my "last and final" offer to purchase.  Everything was done online so there would be no "he said, she said" communications issues.

Trip 3 we picked up the unit and yuk it up with the online sales manager.

Had this deal not gone down we would have moved on & done the same thing with another dealer as time was on our side not theirs.

Please remember you hold the ace card, that being you can walk away, provided you do not form an emotion attachment to that unit and have a bad case of "I want it NOW"
Old and in the way so now it's time to play
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>