Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Member - generator question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member - generator question
    Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:01pm
Hey Kos, I can totally relate to trying to save some money on the generator and therefore looking into the Firman. May I suggest perhaps looking into a different brand with some reviews? From the sounds of it you are looking for something around the 2000W mark that is affordable, quiet, lightweight and durable/ comes with a warrantee. I would suggest checking out the Westinghouse 2400i Explorer Series. It meets all your criteria (I believe there is a warrantee but maybe double check on that).  I found this website really helpful;

There is a review for the Westinghouse 2400i on there along with a helpful info page under the "inverters vs generators" page. The lack of reviews on the web scares me away from the Firman idea but if you go for it let me know how you find it! Hope this helps! 
All the best, 
Dave 
quietpowergenerators.com
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:28pm
Amen Jato! Jesus is Lord
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:15pm
I think since you want to boondock, a generator will be your best answer. When your batteries run low how are you going to charge them without power? The two things you consume most (at least I do) when boondocking are water and electricity. The waterpump uses power, the furnace, the ceiling fan, and your breathing machine. I'm not familiar with the brand generator you're considering so I can't comment on that. I have a Champion and so far no problems. It will run the microwave, or the air conditioner, hairdryer, charge the batteries, or any other item that is electric and it is not noisey.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:52pm
 Ok, I just looked at that Firman generator, and it looks too much like  a Powerhouse PH2100pri, and I can tell you do NOT buy a Powerhouse generator. Ever. I paid around $600 for it, and I wasted way too much time trying to get the first one to work, and they sent me another one under warranty in the first year, but it was JUST AS BAD!!. Horribly difficult to start. Plastic air filter assembly disintegrated!! Just a miserable unit (two of them) and significantly heavier than the Honda/Yamaha generators.

I ended up buying a Honda EU2100i, and even though I only use it a couple times a year here at home, it starts easily, and delivers. Worth the $1000 I paid for it.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 7:12am
I have the same Honda, plus the "Honda Companion". I had to run them both to run my AC on the Jayco 30A..assume I will also on the R-pod? You're right, great, and quiet generators, worth the $2000.
Kos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:51pm
Honda is no option for me. It's much overpriced you're paying a lot for just for market leadership. Probably they are good but I doubt they are that good.
I got a pretty good offer from my RV dealer for a 2000W Yamaha and I will purchase this one. It's 50% more than the Firman one but not 100-150% more like the Honda would be.
Westinghouse generators are not available localy up here.
Thanks for all the advises.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:17pm
Whatever option you choose, be be mindful of your camping neighbors. For me, nothing is more annoying than neighbors who are oblivious to the peace and quiet their neighbors may be seeking. That may be loud parties, uncontrolled barking dogs or loud (or any) generators running all day long.

Although we are well equipped to boondock, we now generally seek out campgrounds with electric hookups simply for the peace and quiet. When we do boondock, we carry our Yammy 2400 and only run it a couple of hours every couple of days or so, trying to be mindful of who may be home "next door". There is a reason many campgrounds have "no generator" loops.

I use my CPAP every night and have for years. The last two machines had a 12 volt option and sipped amps when not using the humidifier, which I find fine for a day or three. You should shop CPAP.com

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12