R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Battery Life - Event Date: 10 Apr 2017 - 30 May 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R-Pod Battery Life
    Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 1:46pm
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 1:48pm
Yep. It's dead.
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
kpetit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 1:59pm
We bought an R-Pod in 2014 and have really enjoyed the use.  Originally, we did not have a problem with the battery life but over the last 14 months we have recharged the battery before trips and it seems to drain out in about 24 hours.  Refrig is on propane and we really do not use a ton of lights,etc.  It has been very frustrating to troubleshoot this.  We purchased new 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries (Interstate) thinking this was the solution and to no avail.  Same result. It appears something is shorting out the battery life as we have a full charge going in and again only have about a full day of use before it drains out.  We mostly dry camp so has become pretty frustrating. I end up user jumper cables from the truck to keep a charge going or else we would be toast.

Any constructive thoughts would be very appreciative.  I have very limited experience with electrical matters so please take that into consideration.
McCall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 2:11pm

Hi kpetit,

If it was me, I would try this when the camper is home.  After fulling charging the batteries, disconnect from shore and pull all the fuses and trip all the breakers.  Then I would slowly start adding the fuses back (maybe an hour between each) while watching the voltage on the batteries.  If there is a problem area, you should see a quick drop in voltage.  That may give a hint as to where the problem is.

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 2:31pm
IMHO all campers ought to have a good clamp on digital meter capable of measuring DC current and AC/DC voltage. This allows you to tell at a glance what current is going into or out of you battery as well as the voltage right at the battery terminals. The one I like and use is http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-true-rms-ac-dc-clamp-ammeter/p-03473756000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

It costs $90 from Sears but is the cheapest I can find that measures a usable range of DC Amps. The 40A range lets you see most of the normal loads plus look at the higher charging currents from various charging schemes. Don't be tempted by cheaper so called clamp meters. The only measure AC Amps, not DC Amps. With this meter you can see what is drawing current when everything is supposed to be off. You can also tell if and how well the converter/charger is working. If all checks out well it's probably the battery.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
kpetit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 6:34pm
Thanks Gary from McCall and Charlie from FL.
You guys make it sound pretty simple to trouble shoot.  I will give this a try. Fingers crossed!
Kevin
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:26pm
I second the clamp meter. You should be able to check each wire at a time with all appliances off and find if something is drawing current. I have a fluke clamp meter that will read D.C. Amps and it is well worth having. I also use it every time my wife kills her car battery to tell her the alternator is working, you left something on!
Your problem could be as simple as a loose wire or a couple strands grounding out that are drawing steady current but not blowing a fuse.
 Post Reply Post Reply