Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Podder
    Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Don&Amy

Stephen...Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice!

My pleasure. I'm glad to be able to help.

I do have the AWD on the Escape. As far as brake controllers go, I am having a P3 installed prior to delivery. I also plan on having the Recurve R3 WD/Sway control hitch installed unless there's something about these that folks here know that I don't!

The P3 is a good choice. I had not even heard of the Recurve R3 before. The big three I see mentioned are the Equal-i-zer (what I have), the Fastway E2, and the Andersen. I will be interested to hear how well the Recurve R3 works.

I am very comfortable towing and tend to err on the side of EXTREME caution while doing so. I figure if the Pod is hooked up, then I'm not going to work, so no need for speed. Smile

Even when one does so, an accident can still happen. It is less likely when one exercises care and does not get in too big a hurry. In our case, if we had waited a day or two, there would have been the opportunity for the ice that we hit to have melted. We wanted to get to our daughter's new house though. The rest is history.

I think when my car's wheels fall off (2010 Fusion with 374,000 miles!) I will look to get something a bit more substantial to pull it with. But for now, the Escape will have to do!

Thanks again for the response! I can definitely foresee "leaning" on you experienced Podders quite a bit in the future!!

Best Regards,
Don

We tend to hold on to our cars also, even though we have not yet gotten that many miles on one of them. You must do a LOT of driving. When we bought the 2010 Nissan Frontier, it had around 78,000 miles. It now has about 82,000. We would have driven the Escape for much longer than we did. The accident forced us to make a change. So far, it is working out for the better.

Best regards to you also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Don&Amy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by birderdiane526

Don and Amy, congratulations and welcome!  This forum is a great community! Lots of advice and laughs.  Also, check out the Rpod Facebook group - another great resource.

I am learning that very quickly! So far, I love this Forum!
Don&Amy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:11am
Stephen...Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice!

I do have the AWD on the Escape. As far as brake controllers go, I am having a P3 installed prior to delivery. I also plan on having the Recurve R3 WD/Sway control hitch installed unless there's something about these that folks here know that I don't!

I will get the mirrors you suggest (after trolling this sight for the past year, I trust your advice!!) so that they are ready to go when the trailer is.

I am very comfortable towing and tend to err on the side of EXTREME caution while doing so. I figure if the Pod is hooked up, then I'm not going to work, so no need for speed. Smile

I think when my car's wheels fall off (2010 Fusion with 374,000 miles!) I will look to get something a bit more substantial to pull it with. But for now, the Escape will have to do!

Thanks again for the response! I can definitely foresee "leaning" on you experienced Podders quite a bit in the future!!

Best Regards,
Don
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 4:18pm
Don and Amy, congratulations and welcome!  This forum is a great community! Lots of advice and laughs.  Also, check out the Rpod Facebook group - another great resource.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:40pm
Hello Don,

First, we USED to have an Escape. In December, we had an accident that put it out of commission for about 3 months. We purchased a 2010 Nissan Frontier so we could continue our trip. When the Escape was finally repaired, our daughter and son-in-law picked it up and took it over to CarMax, where we sold it. However, since we did have some extensive towing experience with it, I can let you know what I thought of it.

First, the 2L Ecoboost engine is pretty amazing. I would not have thought such a small engine could have sufficient power for towing. The turbocharger makes it possible. By specifications, it has nearly the horsepower and torque of the 4L V6 in the Frontier. At any altitude, it actually has more power since the turbocharger compensates for altitude. Naturally aspirated engines lose about 4% power for every 1,000 ft in elevation. So, at 6,000 ft, the Escape had significantly more power than the Frontier. The cost of that is you will need to use Premium while you are towing. That is per Ford.

Your Escape does not come with a wiring harness for a brake controller. You will need to get the universal kit and run the wires to connect it. You will definitely need to install the brake controller before you go to pick up your 178. It would neither safe nor legal to tow without a brake controller. I chose the Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount controller from etrailer.com. Along with that, I got the ETBC7 Universal Installation Kit. I also got the No-Drill Bracket to hold the round connector as I wanted it a little lower to clear the bumper. I modified it by bending the long tab with the mounting holes 90 degrees, leaving the other tab to hook over the frame and lock in with the worm-drive clamp.

As for tow mirrors, I initially got a set of inexpensive strap-on mirrors at Camping World. Although the box said that they were safe for paint, they were rubbing the paint on the mirror housing. I would wrap the mirrors with plastic to try to protect the finish. After a while I saw the Dual Head XLR Ratchet Clip-On Mirror. I purchased two of them, again at Camping World. Overall, I have been pleased with them. The ratchet system seems to hold very securely. Just be sure the L-shaped tabs are hooked around the mirror housing. They might prevent the Escape's mirror from adjusting. That is okay. You will be using the towing mirrors. Once you get them adjusted, they stay that way. When you remove and reinstall them, you may need to adjust them again as it does not seem to fit exactly in the same place twice. The adjustment will be minor though.

Other things are that you will need a good, weight distribution hitch with sway control. We use the Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control hitch. It is very good, but will not prevent all situations such as the ice with crosswind that we experienced in December. For any other situation, a properly adjusted WD/Sway Control hitch will be essential. If I had not gotten the Equal-i-zer, I would have looked at the Andersen No-Sway as it would have been easier to deal with due to it being much lighter. Some people choose the Fastway E2 hitch. All three have integrated sway control so you don't need a separate sway bar. After the accident in December, I was looking to see what could have helped in that situation. I found the Hayes Sway-Master Electronic Sway Control. I had it mounted briefly, but removed it so our RP-179 could go to the factory for repair. It will go back on once repairs are complete. I think that in a situation like we encountered, it would have been helpful since it would have reacted to the sway situation much faster than I could have.

There have been some discussions in the forum about tow vehicles. At best, the Escape is adequate. The short wheelbase is not so good. However, the short distance between the rear axle centerline and the hitch ball (about 3') means that the trailer does not exert quite as much force as with the 5' distance that the Frontier has between axle centerline and hitch ball. I notice the trailer more with the Frontier. What would be a gentle nudge when we are passed by a tractor trailer is a little stronger with the Nissan. Eventually, you will want to upgrade the Escape. Unless yours is an AWD setup, the FWD like we had is not ideal. Even with a WD hitch, the front wheels would spin when starting out too easily. AWD would be much better. The Frontier is 4WD, so the rear wheels are the primary drive with the front wheels able to be engaged as needed. While the Escape is adequate, a larger, heavier vehicle with a tow rating of at least 5,000 lbs would be better. If that is not an option, your Escape will perform quite well. We towed from NC to NV and AZ, then NC to NYS, NC to NYS and Vermont via western NC and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were on our second trip out west when the accident happened on I80 in western Wyoming. We did not beat the weather on our way to see our daughter and her family as they had moved from Las Vegas to South Jordan, Utah. We would have arrived that afternoon if we did not have the accident.  I mention the accident to say that you need to be careful. Even with the ideal tow vehicle, the ice would have probably been too much.

One last thing. When you tow, limit your speed to 60 mph. You will arrive much more relaxed and your mileage will not suffer as much. The first trip, I was trying to hit 65-70 mph and we got as low as 8 mpg. After that, I purchased a wind deflector (AeroPlus from purplelineusa.com) and installed it on the rear crossbar for the roof rack. I had to make additional shims to make it work. Between it and limiting my speed to 60 mph, we were getting much better mileage, as high as 16 mpg in flat terrain. Headwinds, with or without the wind deflector, will also impact your mileage. You will be filling the small gas tank in the Escape much more often than you would expect. That is part of towing. If you look at other message threads in the forum, 11-13 mpg seems to be a good working average unless the person has a Diesel engine vehicle. I hope to get one of those in a couple of years.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Don&Amy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:39pm
Hi Stephen! I have a couple of quick questions for you if you don't mind!

I noticed in one of the other threads that your TV is a 2016 Escape Smile. That's also going to be my TV. I have a Titanium with the 2.0L and tow package. I was curious as to what towing mirrors you use and whether or not you're happy with them. I've been doing quite a bit of research and cannot find a set which have consistently reliable reviews. I figure you've been doing this for a while, so who better to go to! 

I would also welcome any advice you could provide in regards to the Escape as a TV Big smile.

Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards
Don
Don&Amy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:48am
This is Amy of Don&Amy and I would also like to thank everyone for the warm welcome!
When our daughter was young, we enjoyed camping in our little pop-up for many years.  I can't tell you how excited we are to now venture out again (however, I have a feeling we will often have at least our adventurous 5 year old grandson in tow, too!).
We are picking our Pod up in Schereville, IN and heading back to the Richmond VA area. Do any of you have suggestions of nice campgrounds along the way? We know we could make it home in one day but why would we want to? LOL!
Thanks for any and all suggestions! :)

Don&Amy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 5:49pm
Thanks for the warm welcome! The dealer is telling us we should expect delivery in six to eight weeks. As far as our first "adventure", we are not really sure yet. More than likely a night in an as-yet-to-be-determined campground on the way back home after we actually take delivery. Looking forward to it!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 4:59pm
As StephenH stated above, "this forum is a great resource."  Agree 100%  A lot of good ideas are shared here.  Welcome.  So when are you going to pick up your 178 and what are your plans for the first 'shakedown' outing?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:42pm
Congratulations and welcome! This forum is a great resource. It provided me with many ideas for mods I have made. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>