R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1 or 2 new batteries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 or 2 new batteries?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 11:53am
Century Plastics: Heavy Duty Battery Box, inline - Holds (2) 6 Volt Golf Cart battery's.

Century Plastics

All Battery
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 11:58am
That looks like the best solution for keeping a tight fit.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 12:01pm
I chose a DYI solution. Took a blade to two regular battery boxes. Glued some plastic "splints" to the inside to extend them a bit and the wrapped in Gorilla Tape. That was about three years ago. Still going strong.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 1:54pm
Two NOCO HM306BK boxes from Amazon are what I am using. They were the least expensive option I could find for GC2 batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:23pm
We have two Duracell brand GC2s on our 179. I can run my CPAP with the humidifier and not worry about running out of battery power. We also have an inverter to allow us to use charging adapters for our various devices as well as watch TV.

We got the batteries and boxes from Batteries+Bulbs. The boxes were something like $10 apiece. I ordered them online and picked them up locally.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by TheBum

We have two Duracell brand GC2s on our 179. I can run my CPAP with the humidifier and not worry about running out of battery power. We also have an inverter to allow us to use charging adapters for our various devices as well as watch TV.

That is the brand I purchased and from the same source. I added a couple of USB charging outlets so that I don't need to use an inverter to charge our phones. We do have a 300 Watt inverter that we use for watching the TV. I should have gotten a smaller one except I once had a smaller one that didn't have enough power to run a laptop I used to own. That is why I got the 300 Watt one. The fan in it is a bit loud though, so I still may pick up a small one that has enough power to run the TV and keep the other one in case I need something with more power.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 9:49am
I will be getting 6v batteries pretty soon. One thing I wondered is will the on board charger be sufficient? Also, if I ever get solar panels will they be enough to charge?
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:09am
The onboard charger is more than enough to charge them back up. I have two 100 watt solar panels that in full sun can charge around 8.5 amps. Even when I had only one panel it was enough to recharge what I had used, as long as I had full sun on the panel
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 6:28pm
Good to know! Thanks
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:06am
Originally posted by StephenH

We do have a 300 Watt inverter that we use for watching the TV. I should have gotten a smaller one except I once had a smaller one that didn't have enough power to run a laptop I used to own. That is why I got the 300 Watt one. The fan in it is a bit loud though, so I still may pick up a small one that has enough power to run the TV and keep the other one in case I need something with more power.
I was researching battery options for our R-179, and came across this old thread. I wanted to comment that you need to be careful when running an inverter on any 12VDC system, as the watts can add up fast. The reason being that the current draw on the battery is going to be roughly 10X the current on a 120VAC circuit.

To put it in layman's terms, a 120 watt load on a 120VAC circuit is only 1 amp (a pretty small current draw). That same load on your battery is going to be 10 amps. That is a big draw on your battery, and you have to take that into consideration.

I wish they sized batteries according to the watt-hours of storage. Instead they give you CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), and/or AH (Amp-Hours). The amp-hours is the more useful, but it would be even better if it was just pure watt-hours. The watt-hours would eliminate having to take whatever the voltage is.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>