R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpump/motor running during transport?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pump/motor running during transport?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:09am
Hi all, new to the forum. Just purchased an 2016 Rpod 176. It is winterized with the batteries removed. It was deliverd to me and I have just recently hitched up and taken it for a short spin to a weigh scale. When I returned I noticed what sounded like a pump/small motor running in the area of the water heater/pump and furnace. I made sure that all of the switches were turned off, including the one on the external panel for the water heater. However, it still ran. Of course, when I detached the electrical to my tow vehicle it shut off. Any idea what this could be and how to turn it off? I hope I haven't burned out the element or done any other damage to other components. Not sure why this would be happening because it was delivered that way. Please help!
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 11:53am
Check your 12volt water pump switch, mine is by the sink below the counter next to the water heater switch. Your 12 volt pump has a automatic  pressure  controlled switch and if it doesn't have water and the switch on the counter is on the pump will run

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 2:46pm
Also would like to know  your scale weights
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 4:15pm
A) You know you are getting 12v to the Pod from your truck.
B) The only thing in a pod that matches your situation and description is the water pump.
djensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:36pm
Thanks for all the info, I have double checked and appearently both the water pump and water heater switches were on!!! I feel like an idiot. Is it likely that I've done damage to the water pump and/or the heating element???
wieghts; front axle - 2447lbs, rear axle - 2623lbs, GVM - 4982lbs, GTW - 2337lbs. These weights are without a WD hitch which I'm having installed tomorrow.
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by djensen

Thanks for all the info, I have double checked and appearently both the water pump and water heater switches were on!!! I feel like an idiot. Is it likely that I've done damage to the water pump and/or the heating element???
wieghts; front axle - 2447lbs, rear axle - 2623lbs, GVM - 4982lbs, GTW - 2337lbs. These weights are without a WD hitch which I'm having installed tomorrow.
    Not likely on the pump, put some water in your tank and try it,  these pumps can run dry. Good luck
        Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 7:21am
Originally posted by djensen

Water pump is designed to "run dry"..

To burn out the WH element, you have to be plugged into shore power, outside switch on, breaker on, with an empty water heater.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 7:34am
As Furpod says, you have to be plugged in to damage the WH element and the pump is designed to run dry. You're safe on those. However, when you put water in the tank it may take quite some time for the pump to pick up from the tank. I think the pump mechanism may dry out and impair the suction when run dry. So fill the tank with water and don't be concerned if it doesn't pump right away.

I'm not sure of the effect of having the WH heater switch on. That switch controls the propane burner in the WH. If you had water in the WH and propane turned on it's no problem. If no propane, also no problem. The concern would be an empty WH and propane on. I'm not sure if the WH will protect itself against that condition. Try it and see.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
djensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:49am
Great, thanks a lot for the info. I had propane off and the outside electric water heater switch was off. I guess I won't really know for sure about the water pump until I try it. Thanks again. This forum is a great resource (much greater than the owners manual and my RV dealer)! 
Gregm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:57am
I did the same thing when I got our pod. I guess the switches confused me.
They were on until the battery went dead. I finally figured out they were on.
After I shut them off and recharged the battery everything worked fine I haven't had any problems since
Gregm
2014 171
2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
 Post Reply Post Reply