R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 Dinette sleeping - Event Date: 05 Apr 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 179 Dinette sleeping
    Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:13pm
Hello, we need to make the dinette/sofa of our rpod 179 comfortable for sleeping on. The cushions are not the same thickness and move. How do you make the sleeping area even and comfortable?

all suggestions are welcome.
Podwan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:46pm
following. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:11am
If you are on Facebook's R-Pod Owners group, you will see where some have discarded the stock cushions in favor of a futon. That would seem to be the best option for a comfortable sleeping surface for the 179's dinette.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:18am
i have a 182g and use an air mattress.  i think the dinette area is the same on yours and mine.  
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
RoyToy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:29am
Thank You Everyone.   We are not on Facebook, can we access photos thru this site?  We purchased this model so we would have the option of allowing one of our adult children to camp.  A bit disappointed the dinette needs improvement  This is our first travel trailer.  For many years the six of us camped in a series of large Coleman pop-ups.  Really excited to camp again!  We have a 2015 Model 179.
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:30am
Used our 179 for the first time last weekend.  Loved the layout of the dinette for eating, lounging and even sitting on to get items from wardrobe or tying shoes.  Read about the cushions before we bought ours so I tried out the main one and it was firm and comfortable enough for me.  However, the 2 "ottoman" cushions are of different densities!  One is firm like the bench seat and other is definitely softer and slippery on the base.  In fact, we could not keep the cover straight as it would move because the cushion compressed so much....great Forest River quality control.  Thought about contacting them to see if they could send me 2 new ones.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
pedalho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:44am
Our 18 y/o son loves to sleep under the r-dome. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 4:32pm
If it is just one person, the main cushion is adequate. One of my fellow church members slept on it (remove the back and corner cushions), and you are left with a cot-width bed, which is perfectly adequate for one. However, the situation remains when you are trying to fit more than one.

Other alternatives I have seen are to make a board that slides under the seat cushion and have blocks made that put it at the same level as the seat when it is pulled out and laid over the ottomans. The table may have to be left out. I'm going from memory and I don't have a picture in front of me to which I can refer. One then has a cushion made which replaces the back and corner cushions. Since you can have the seat and back cushion at the same thickness and since the seat and extension board are at the same level, this should address the problem. Some decorative pillows can replace the corner cushions.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 7:08pm
Re foam cushions of different density:  How about going to your local foam/fabric store and buying two pads of the same size as are there now but also of the same density.  You can probably take the old ones out of the covers and stuff the new ones in.  If the covers don't quite fit right, you could take them to your local seamstress and have her make some modifications to the covers. You could even make new covers for the old foam and use it for something else.  We've done this in our sewing shop for some of our customers and it's worked nicely.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
COSPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 8:18pm
After 2yrs and several options, to get our 172 dinette into comfortable bed we have:

1) IKEA foam mattress that is 3 or so inches thick. We had this by itself, however it was way too firm for us
2) ~1 inch soft foam topper, this eases the firmness of the mattress and makes the combo pretty good.

downside is we almost never use/convert the dinette, as the Ikea mattress is not very movable, so it's mostly a permanent bed now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>