R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 Dinette sleeping - Event Date: 05 Apr 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 179 Dinette sleeping
    Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:29pm
My wife bought some foam from one of the local craft stores and cut it to fit the area where the back cushion and strip cushion go. We then switched to an air mattress. Finally, we installed an IKEA futon.
rynosurf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:15pm
I use the strap that holds the table on the couch to hold the cushions on the bed. It doesn't help with the comfort though. . I'm planning on making bunks in the slide out for my kids so that I will always two seats and the table available when they are both sleeping.
2016 179 Hood River Edition
2006 4x4 Tacoma DC short bed
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 4:27pm
I'm going to try a twin size inflatable mattress if I ever need to use the dinette as a bed.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:22pm
 I have a  posting with pictures elsewhere in the forum about this.  We ordered a duplicate of the seat cushion cover from FR and went to a local foam shop to get a piece of foam cut to size.  They even did the stuffing of the foam into the cover for us, no small chore.

I had a piece of cabinet grade plywood that we had moved to two other addresses through the years.  Not necessary to use quite that high quality, but in the end, it looks pretty good and with staining, almost matches the other wood trim. 

I took aluminum L-angle and made tracks, mostly just to eliminate the ends of the plywood rubbing against the walls.  They are attached only with gorilla glue and have held up well for two years now.

Then we got folding TV tables from Target to replace that quirky table, which is now in storage.  The corner cushions are with it, but the smaller flat cushions make good armrests when watching TV or reading.  And if we want a table outside, those tables are a LOT easier to move than that original thing, 

The new cushion is interchangeable with the original, so it doesn't make any difference which ends up as the seat or the back.  When used as a couch/dining area, the new cushion does stick up some, blocking the view a bit.  That's none too good to start with, but we live with it.  We think that's the only real compromise. 

There is about 3/4" of difference in height vs the original bed height when the plywood and cushion are out, but I have a couple of short pieces of 1x8s that we stick in place on top of those hassock-type gizmos.  So far, everything has stayed in place overnight. 

Fairly simple changes, and the improvement in sleeping comfort is hard to overstate.

When traveling, the TV tables and 1x8s stow on the floor between those two hassocks.

Fairly simple changes, but the result is good.

Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12