R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthule awning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: thule awning
    Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:03am
Hi fellow podders, Just took delivery of a 2017.5 178 with thule awning.  Noticed that the awning lock mechanism which holds the extension rods in place does not lock.  Am I missing something or do I have a defective unit (both lock mechanisms fail to hold awning supports in place).  Unfortunately, the manual that comes with is pictorial only and not very helpful.   Not sure where to get manufacturer assistance.

Thanks.  Jim
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:14pm
Yes!  The manual is useless.  Trying to figure out also...  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9487&title=thule-awning-arms-on-179

Are you talking about when you tuck the legs back into the main awning to close?  When you put the leg ends in, go the other (outer) ends and push the snap lock into place.  This seems to keep everything in place.  Or are you talking about locking the extensions?  Pull/push the lock tab all the way in one direction or the other...like 180 degrees from where it is unlocked.  Don't know if that makes sense??

Don't bother looking on the Thule website...I scoured it for more info.  Their videos are also about as useless as the picture book.  Don't understand why they use NO words to help explain.  
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
JamieViolette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm
The manual is not helpful at all. Here is a helpful video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9s9vHTjek8 You have to flip the locking mechanism up, but it won't lay completely flat...more like 150 out of 180 degrees. You're going to think you're breaking the clip by pushing it in that direction because it doesn't want to go at first, but I promise that's the trick.
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:34pm
thanks guys.  watched the video, had thought about pushing that clip but didn't want to break.  will try again.  Noticed that the manual appears to show that the awning should only be extended three feet before deploying the extension arms, while the guy in the video apparently send it all the way out.  He also doesn't touch on the bottom extension with the little bevel button that you push in to extend further.  Took me a while to figure that out.  Any thoughts on the two accessory bags, "filling fixation bag" and "mb 5200 pitch control".  The first contains plastic flanges with screw on base and the second contains two screws with four washers respectively. 

thanks again, I don't know how we'd get help with this stuff without this forum!
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:05pm
I saw those bags also. The plastic flanges are to be mounted to your location of choice to hold the crank handle in storage. Looking at the installation instructions, the pitch control has something to do with the angle at which the awning cranks out. Again, the instructions are not clear. I'm off on the maiden Pod voyage this weekend and plan to learn all about my awning! (and Podzilla).
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:58pm
thanks again.  Have fun on your trip!
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:26am
So I did experiment this weekend.  Did what the Thule pictures showed for set up (not what I was told at the dealer).  Seemed to work well....extend the legs to the ground at an angle with the awning cranked out 3 or 4 feet, crank all the way out and then attach legs to side of pod.  There are no support braces as shown in another Thule model but there the teeth for that brace!?!  Wonder if it is an add-on.  I do feel more comfortable with it now.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:38am
Glad you had a good trip.  Where did you camp?  

The pics with the awning manual show a diagonal brace which is described as optional.  Now we just have to wait for the optional screen room!
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:21am
And I bet a very expensive screen room knowing Thule....

We were right up at the VA line at Merchants Millpond SP.....a really cool place.  Campground had no hookups but the Podzilla had no troubles with that!  It is a very well maintained State Park with hiking trails and the main attraction of canoeing through the swamp or pond....thousands of Cypress trees and turtles and one very big gator!  I'm sure there are more....   You can rent canoes there.  We would go back in a second but it was a 5 hour drive from Concord, NC.  Stopped for some mandatory Eastern NC BBQ on the way.    

Very eager to get to OBX for a long weekend!  Got this thing I call a job so time is limited........
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:35am
Merchants is a favorite of a friend of mine.  I've never made it down but plan to.  I hear it is beautiful and have seen many beautiful photos.  

I think the screen room is going to be about $800.  Someone else checked on this site and I've talked with FR and they are in the process of negotiating with Thule re: selling the item through their dealerships.  Hopefully soon!

See you in the OBX this summer.  I favor the lower islands, Hatteras and Ocracoke.

2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>