R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBed length

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bed length
    Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:20pm
I have a serious question. I'm considering an R-pod purchase. I like the high ceiling. But I'm 6ft tall and it says the bed length is 74 in. 6ft is 72 in. Arn't I going to be a little cramped? Sounds like a design flaw to me.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:10pm
It is not a design flaw. It is a fact that small RV's can't pack full-size 80" queen beds into a space that is only 75" wide. The width of the R-Pod is such that the body can be lower, which makes the center of gravity lower which, in turn, makes for a more stable trailer. In order to have a wider trailer, one would have to make it higher to fit the wheels underneath (higher CG, less stable) or have wheel wells which intrude into the inside. This is what the Coachmen Apex Nano does. It sits higher and has wheel wells inside the living space. That means their exterior width of 90" includes the wheels underneath. The 96" width of the R-Pods includes the wheels and fenders which sit outside the trailer walls with no wheel wells intruding.. The fact that one can order "Short Queen" mattresses lets us know that the R-Pods are not unique in using this size mattress. Otherwise, it would have to be a custom order.

One other thing is that the R-Pod's slide out has to clear the wheels. That is why the dinette in the 179, for example, has the back bench with no storage underneath. The bench is the bottom of the slide-out. On the Apex Nano, the bottom of the slide is closer to floor level so the seating there can be used for storage.

Ultimately, you look at the different options and choose that which is right for you. It might be the R-Pod. It might be something else. However, you are the one that has to live with it, so pick that which will work for you and that you will be happy with. It is better than choosing something and then within a short period, selling it because it does not meet your needs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:18pm
I am 6 foot tall and am pretty comfortable, we are on our second pod!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:45pm
 Find one and lie down in it, then decide if you could live with it. That's an easy solution. I toured a 177 for about 15 minutes, carefully considering the amenities. I also spend about 10-15 hours online researching. I finally decided it was what I wanted. There are a lot of good choices out there but for it's size I think the Pod has the best feature set for the price. Can't beat those 30 gallon tanks.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:20pm
Henryv,
Here's the three manufacturers that make this style trailer, Forest river must be doing something right because others are now copying it. They are all the same, and only 78" wide, If I was over 6' I would have maybe bought something different. But I love the fact that it is Light, and I don't need towing mirrors, and is the smallest thing I could find that has all I wanted without turning a dinette into a bed at night.Then again, I did make my side longer by taking out the queen and installing twin beds 
RPOD  

So I don't see it as a design flaw so much as, what can we make that's light, a mid sized SUV can tow,and has all the basic amenities that people will want? ( just not tall people).
rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:20pm
I'm 6'2" and have a 179. If I share the bed will my wife my toes sometimes touch the wall. However, sleeping alone my feet don't touch.
Life is good.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:41am
A "design flaw"?

Like when I find a pair of boots I REALLY like, only to discover they don't make them in a 12W?

A design flaw would be if the bed doesn't work as a bed, or has a huge spike sticking up out of it or something..

I am to big for lots of things.. But that isn't a design flaw.

That said, at 6 foot and a little spare tall, and 200lbs, I never had a problem with the bed, and my 5'4" wife never had an issue being in it with me. Nor did the dogs.. LOL
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:44am
So just kick her out right?
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:47am
Can somebody tell me how to delete posts?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:47am
In all seriousness, the "RV Queen" bed is a standard item, and in fact, until recently, unless you were in a very expensive custom rig, it IS what you got. You should be fine. But the best advice given is true, go lay in one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>