R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChevrolet Colorado - Event Date: 26 Mar 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Chevrolet Colorado
    Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:29pm
I currently tow my 178 with a 2016 Tacoma. This is my third Tacoma to tow with but I am contemplating a change.  Has anyone used a Colorado or Canyon?  what has your experience been with the transmission when towing.
I loved all my Tacoma's until this one when they switched to a 6 speed auto.
Old Time Fiddle Music........
Better Than It Sounds!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:55pm
I have a 2015 178. I towed with a 2016 Colorado Z71, non-four wheel drive with the 3.6 liter. It has the 7000 lb towing capacity, 305 HP. I towed my 178 for over a year. No WDH only the friction sway bar. No issues. I do use the Tow option and the transmission does not try to move to and from O/D. Very capable tow vehicle, that has no issues pulling the Pod. It has the Hydro 6 speed in it - no issues to date. Very satisfied, it has all the capabilities my 2006 4X4 V8 Silverado has, plus an increase in horsepower. When I bought mine the diesel was not yet available. However happy with the purchase and performance.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
JamieViolette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:58pm
I tow a 182g with a 2016 Diesel Colorado. We have only had the Rpod a few weeks, but we towed it from Ohio to North Carolina and it handled the hills well. Fuel mileage with the diesel is a major plus...both with and without the trailer. 
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:55pm
Don't like 2016 Tacoma think of moving up to tundra with 4.6 v8 with tow package.the new  Tacoma not good. I might look at ford . I've been in Toyota for 30 years
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
apltrez View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:14pm
I have loved my Tacomas but not this one. I wannt to stay with a mid size so I'll try Chev Colorado and the see what the Ford is like...likely in '19
Old Time Fiddle Music........
Better Than It Sounds!
macroman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:23am
I tow a 171 with a 2009 Colorado 4x4 Z71 that has the 5 cylinder 3.7 litre motor.  Not had any issues what so ever.  Transmission runs in range.  My trailer loaded is about 1200 lbs below my towing capacity when my truck is loaded and I don't even notice the trailer in tow.  Good truck.  I suspect with the V8 or diesel it would be a fantastic R-pod puller.
Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:46pm
Smile
I tow my RPOD 180 with a 2016 Chevy Colorado. My truck is the 2.8 liter 4 cylinder Duramax diesel. I always pull with my fresh water tank completely full and get about 25 mpg while towing. You can't even feel the trailer back there. This is the Z71 package with 4 wheel drive. I rarely use the 4 wheel drive however.
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:07pm
Don't understand what the problem is with towing with a Tacoma.  I have a new 2017 double cab Tacoma with tow package and the six speed auto.  I have air bags on it and do not use a WDH just a friction sway control.  When towing I use the ECT switch that changes the shift points in the transmission.

My Tacoma tows my new R-Pod 180 just fine and I get 13 MPG so don't understand the posts here about Tacoma not be a good tow rig.

Also I have a friend who has the Colorado 4 wheel drive with the small DuraMax diesel and he only gets around 25 MPG not towing anything so I have a hard time believing one can tow a full loaded 180 and getting 25 MPG.  I also checked other forum sites that have the same truck with the diesel and none of them get that kind of MPG when towing.  Same or very similar trailer weights with most getting 16 to 20 MPG at best.  That is a lot better than my Tacoma, but 25 MPG towing a fully loaded 180 doesn't seem realistic Confused

Chiman
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
 Post Reply Post Reply