Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAwning, Bathroom, & TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning, Bathroom, & TV
    Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:52am
For the Podders who have visited me, thank you. I misspoke when I said I had seen only one Pod. I have seen people that were interested enough to come meet me when I was in Townsend, Tn. with my Pod.
I had one at the campground I was in last week (using Pod as motel room while friend had heart surgery), he was traveling through. Had a 175 that he was pulling with a 4 cylinder? Lexis sedan. First thing he ask me was what I was pulling withTongue I have the 171 and felt I needed the power of at least a 6 clyinder puller for safety sake.  With his extra weight with the motor on the slide out , he certainly need some extra hauler.  I think I am not the only one that just jumps in to buy something without REALLY knowing what it all entails. Luckily I have husband who does have those smarts.
Escape Pod
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:17am
Goose:  Like your picture of your rig. Have not figured out how to get the picture of mine on this site. Worked with it for a while, then got busy with other things and have not tried it again.
Have not gotten an awning yet, since I am setting up and tearing down on my own, I do want something that is less work for me. Thinking on a small awning that is made up in Canada, I think, but have to have money to get that one tooLOL
The rod that goes across the bathroom is leaning on the wall in my garage, waiting for a purpose.  COULD carry it in Edge so that when I wanted to hang drying things like you do, good idea.
When I have full hook ups, I use the shower, wipe up good, leave the shower curtain spread out over toilet( I leave a little bit in the door when I close it so it does not "suck" up agains't far wall). Then I crack the vent, turn the fan on low in the night, or if I use the shower in the morning, I do the same thing in the day. All is dried out great , either way. I do use a bit of Clorox/water mix in a spray bottle too. Living in South , we can get mold and meldew in HOURSStar
So far I have only had 2-3 days of camping. All else has been a few days with husband along, who does not really want to camp anymore, but great person to get me set up with this rig instead of my tent. Our last bus just about tuckered him out steering it around and he started life camping with his parents, then 17yrs. in tents while our children were growing up, then motorhomes. HE DONE>Big smile I am not ready to give it up, but had a sort of scary learning process since I had not pulled a thing in my life.  AND this happens AFTER you buy the rig and puller.
Have taken it out to Elkmont, had the grandchildren in it (city children for sure) . Pretty close by so I can make trips to the house  with not much problem. 

Do let me know your time at Elkmont. Would love to meet in person another Podder.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 1:10pm
  Mountain Mist congrads to you for doing everything by your self. After 40 years of driving a tractor trailer pulling the POD is no problem. I worked for an hour and a half to get the picture sized right to fit in the box, I used the HP Photosmart program that is in the laptop to do it. I don't think that it would take me as long to do it again.
  Thanks for the tip on spraying the shower down and wiping it dry, we have been in the desert for 3 weeks and moisture is not an issue here although home in Missouri it may be on some days. If the weather holds out when we get home we may try to get out one more weekend before we need to winterize.   Smile      Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

If you don't mind telling, when will you be a Elkmont?
Reason: I have only seen one other Pod since I have had mine and would like to come over and meet another Podder, if I am here at the time.  Always need to pick up pointers from other campers with our units. I camp in Elkmont quite a lot since it is my backdoor. Have used tent for many years there before my Pod.
Hope you are bringing your wonderful dog.
Escape Pod
I don't mind telling at all.  I plan to be there Sunday afternoon/evening 10-24 for 2-3 nights.  I have to admit, I procrastinated Embarrassed and waited too long to make reservations, so the weekend was full.  I have been going to the Smoky's since I was 18 (probably a couple of dozen times), but have never camped at Elkmont.  I usually go to Cosby or Look Rock.  So this will be a new experience for me.  I will be staying Fri. & Sat. at an Indiana State Park, just prior.  After Elkmont, my plan, for now, is to head up towards Shenandoah - maybe overninght at a State park in WV or VA...I need to look at the map and do some more planning.  Nothing "set in stone" - I just need to show up for work again on Nov.1.

I should give you these caveats: I no longer own a Pod (did own an RP173)

However, I traded it, in March of this year, for this

Also, know that I am a rich, handsome, intelligent, young, single (divorced) guy (at least, that's what I tell myself). LOL  Make sure hubby is confortable with this, or bring him along if you decide to meet. 

My tip for towing your Pod: Relax!  It will follow you wherever you go.  Just take turns a little wider and leave some extra room for braking.  Downshift when going down long steep hills to save your brakes.  There is a technique called "trail braking", but not all brake controllers are good to use this technique with.

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:34pm
Well, that takes care of it. I am leaving the 20th for Texas, back sometime in November.

Your current tralier looks like something a friend of mine might need, size wise. She has wolf and the Pod is filled with the 2 of them!]

Hmmm, I used to be Cinderella, but now I am the Pumpkin!  With age it is easier not to use my broom to swat the fellows away. Embarrassed

I keep my speed moderate, I have been BEHIND rolling road blocks for years here in this area, now time for ME to be one , if need be. I have a sway bar and the brake control in the pulling vehicle.
Just get sort of upset seeing the fuel go down so fast. Have driven small sports cars for most of my life, this first time with a "haunker" that is gas consumer.
Anyplace that has "leaf peepers" will be full. I am really close to Elkmont, but getting a place at a moments notice is not possible.  November 1st is first come first served and a lot of the times the leaves are beautiful still and the weather a bit of everything.  I like the time because we have less full town and places like Elkmont and Cades Cove not over run.

Have a good trip, you rich handsome person. Alas.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:17pm
Good luck in your trip to Texas.  We have a few members in that great State.

Upon further review, I may have been stretching the truth just a wee bit about rich, young, handsome stuff - just thought I should say that in the interest of being 100% accurate.  It has gotten a little easier to fight off the gals, over the years.  Smile

Sounds like you have all of the equipment you need to tow well and you'll do just fine...relax.  Yes, the fuel milage is horrible.  Most seem to get about 10-12mpg. OUCH!  I guess it's just a price we pay for the ammenities and convenience of a travel trailer.  I wish there was something that could be done about it. 

For your friend - my camper is about one foot longer than the Pod and a few inches wider (7 feet).  I did some posts on it in the Misc. Topic, if you want to see more.

Don't envy your traffic situation in Gatlinburg; that's why I usually have gone to Cosby or Look Rock.  They seem to be much less crowded. 

2peasinapod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:38pm
Thumbs Down The bathroom sink in the 177 is a joke!  But I did put it to good use.....it holds a roll of toilet paper quite nicely
Thumbs Down Who else thinks that the tv should be moved? It makes crawling out of bed a challenge if you are the one sleeping on the inside.
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by 2peasinapod

Thumbs Down The bathroom sink in the 177 is a joke!  But I did put it to good use.....it holds a roll of toilet paper quite nicely
Thumbs Down Who else thinks that the tv should be moved? It makes crawling out of bed a challenge if you are the one sleeping on the inside.
We did move the tv over the bed in our 175.  It is now at the foot of the bed and is much less claustrophobic and easier to get in and out of bed.

Found this picture to cover over the spot where tv was originally.

Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:37am
With our 176 we put it on the top bunk and use it for storage for the many small items which always seem to get misplaced.  A roll down awning would be nice, but we do like and use the R-Dome.   
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 9:53pm
if you look on west marines website you will see a waterproof toilet paper holder,i just put one in my pod and its great.a little pricey though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>