R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTIMBREN Rear Suspension Enhancement System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIMBREN Rear Suspension Enhancement System
    Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 5:07pm
I recently purchase a TIMBREN Rear Enhancement System from etrailer for my 2006 Chevy Silverado, K1500, 4WD. First the why - some trucks are famous for an inherent sag that occurs when the tongue weight is applied. To me - it is hard to judge tongue height on the TV if you don't account for that sag. What TIMBREN does is supply large rubber stops that replace your frame spring bumpers. They let the frame settle on the axle to a point then they supply a restrictive shock action to not allow the frame to sink lower. You simply remove your stock rubber frame bumpers (one attachment to side) and install the TIMBREN cushions. What I like about them is there is no maintenance, they do not require air, no air lines or compressors. Until you put weight on them they have no effect. Once weighted they can effect body roll and sway, because they don't let the frame settle without cushion. They make them for the front is applicable too, but all I get there is lift not settling. They are simple and and I think a bit pricey, but I was OK with that. They perform as I expected.

Thanks Mike_
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:17am
   I understand the sag, we have coil springs on our Ram 1500 and the suspension does sag more than you might expect. The coil springs help in providing a smooth ride but there weakness is supporting weight. I had thought about the TIMBREN  suspension bumpers when we had a  2012 Ram reg cab but we recently changed vehicles and now have a 2014 Ram quad cab and it has a stronger suspension. As long as we do not change campers we should be OK.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:24am
I think the better option is a WDH, but I could see using this for a utility trailer or other temporary towing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab too.  I was considering the Timbrens springs but heard the can give a rough ride when partially loaded.   As well as towing my 179 pod I tow a 5000# GVW dump trailer for my work.  I also have a cap and bed drawers for tools when working.   The suspension sag is noticeable on the Rams guess that is what you get for the nice smooth ride when unloaded.  I liked The Timbrens for there simplicity and ease of installation, but I think I am going to install a air system so I can get more flexibility in being able to adjust the ride height of the truck for the different loads I encounter.   I am currently trying to decide between the Timber Grove springs and the Total Load Control ones.  The timber Grove springs look to be of better quality but it is tough to tell just looking at them on the internet.   If all you need more support for the back end is for towing your Pod I would consider a WDH that way you would get sway control too. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm
Any way to install a WDH for your dump trailer since you use it all the time?  Air bags, like the bump stops, won't redistribute weight back to your front axle where it is needed.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:23pm
WDH will not fit on that trailer but I never have any problems towing it.  I think since all the weight is down low with the dump body I dont get any sway or towing problems.  Just a good bit of hitch drop till the truck springs pick up.   
 Post Reply Post Reply