Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R-pod 178

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-pod 178
    Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:46pm
Just bought my new 2017 178 and reading the manuals trying to figure out how to operate everything. 
My heater manual instruction mention shut off valves etc. , but the only think I can find related to the heater is the thermostat. Do I open the propane knob and then adjust the thermostat? The manual says to turn shut-off valve to off and then wait five min. To see if I smell gas. I don't know where the shutoff valve would be. Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Ella
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:53pm
Hi Ella,
Congrats on the new Pod. What I usually do is open the gas valve at the propane bottle which provides gas to the Pod. Then I go inside and turn on one of the stove burners and light it, which sometimes takes a minute or two. Once I have gas going to the stove, I then turn up the thermostat and wait for the heater to come on. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries and don't forget to turn off the stove! I have a 2010 172 so I don't know if things are different for your Pod. Good luck and I'm sure others will chime in with advice too.
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:59am
Don't forget to put your thermostat in the auto mode also or your ac fan will run at the same time.welcome and good luck.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:54am
Yeah, the only propane shut-off valve anywhere on the Pod I know of is on the propane tank. Pod instruction manuals tend to be very generically written, not specific to your Pod or even R-Pods.  It can get confusing.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
bikeella View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:17am
Thanks for the help.
Anyone with a newer 178... what is the procedure that you use to turn on heater?
Thanks.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:48am
Make sure the propane is on at the tank.  As Pete said, light the burners on the stove to make sure gas has made it in that far.  When they burn smoothly, turn them off.  Then just set the thermostat to Heat, set the fan to Auto, and set the temperature high enough for the furnace to come on.  That's it.  Then adjust the thermostat to where you want it.  (There is no pilot to light.  The furnace has electronic ignition.)

Many people use a little 1500 watt electric heater instead of the furnace unless they're boondocking.  If you have electricity, you paid for it with your campsite so why burn your own propane?!  Plus, the furnace fan is LOUD.  Any $12 to $30 electric heater from Walmart or Amazon will keep you warm down into the 30s and maybe the 20s.  I don't think they can sell them without tip-over protection, but make sure yours has that.  And get one with high and low ranges.  I rarely ever use the high range.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:45pm
+1 on the small, ceramic block heater. We have used the gas furnace extensively as we have not always been where we have had electricity available. Sometimes, it is just not wanting to run up the electric bill for one of our children also.

One other thing that people have used is a Mr. Heater Buddy. I recommend the Portable Buddy. I don't recommend the Little Buddy. The reason is that the Little Buddy is top-heavy. The Portable Buddy has a much larger base and is less likely to tip over.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:14pm
I really like the Buddy heater, I use one in my Ice Fishing shanty, will keep the shanty 75-80, while it is below zero and windy outside.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
bikeella View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:43pm
Thank all for the replies..  I was at walmart and picked up a small heater just to have one if I need it. 
I was asking about the propane heater so I would know how to use it when i needed it. 
I took a picture of the thermostat control but couldn't upload. It doesn't have a fan switch , only the temperature switch ... all the way to left is off and right is temperature.  

I do have the ac and heater in the ceiling as well. But , i think i need the 30 volt connection to try that out. The dealer said don't use the ac or microwave on 15 volts. 

I was using google photo when I tried to upload, but it wouldn't work. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:47pm
Cut and paste this link into your browser and see if it's your thermostat: https://www.pinterest.com/andreajcarlson/r-pod/

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply