R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLow point drains and functionality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low point drains and functionality
    Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:52am
I just completed my first shakedown trip in the pod. When I broke camp I opened the low point drains and drained the water. Is this really necessary each time? I'm guessing not. I did notice however the hot water drain emptied a little but the cold side emptied a lot and the water on the cold side was hot which led me to believe that it was draining the hot water tank. Is this indeed the case and if so what is the functionality of each drain and what is on each? The hot water tank obviously doesn't drain from the hot low point drain. As always thanks for the input.
2017 R-pod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:58am
The plumbing and physics (that gravity thing) team up to make that happen. Cold water enters the bottom of the HW tank and hot water leaves from the top. When you open the cold drain it does drain the HW tank if you have some HW faucet open. You only have to do this when winterizing, not after each trip. When you want to drain the system open all faucets and both low point drains. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:41pm
Thanks for the good info Charlie. Makes sense.
2017 R-pod 179
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:14pm
I hadn't even thought about opening the faucets at the same time.  Makes sense.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:48am
Another method to empty the WH faster is to open the over-pressure valve at the top of the WH on the outside.  Some people recommend against it since you can develop a weeping valve if it is weak, but I did it all the time with our popup and never had a problem.  I didn't use it with our pod or with our current camper since I only drain at the end of the season, so I just open up all of the valves inside so suction helps to clear them.  I had hard-to-solve sway issues with our popup which is why I drained it at the campsite every time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
alandlearned View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 12:41pm
Regarding having a low-point drain constantly dripping I suspect you would need to: A) turn off any water coming INTO the camper and then, B) Remove the white water cap ON THE WHITE drain hose (being careful not to be underneath when the water comes gushing out) and then use plumbers tape to wrap around the fitting before finally, C) replacing the cap, screwing it back on as tight as you dare, being VERY careful, as has been previously mentioned by others, not to twist the hose itself. It is possible of course that the cap itself may be cracked. Stuff happens. Adding an inline water pressure reducer to the water intake hose at the campground spigot will protect your hoses from bursting and may slow or even stop the drip as well. Experience is a great teacher, sad to say. Speaking of experience, just remember to take the reducer with you when you leave . . .
2015 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 RST, Crew Cab; Gas V8 5.3L, RWD
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 3:32pm
I would look at replacing the rubber seal in the cap before using plumbers tape on the threads. As you indicated that the cap maybe cracked causing the drip and yes turn off the water source before working on the cap.  Have fun and stay dry.
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply