FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPOD 176T - Event Date: 24 Mar 2017 - 31 Mar 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: RPOD 176T
    Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:07pm
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a mdl 176T.  I have 4 kids and this is the only model that would sleep everyone.  My tow vehicle is a Honda Odyssey and I am limited to 3500 lb towing capacity.  I am a bit concerned about the tent portion of the 176T.  I am in NC.....hot and humid in the summer.  A few question if anyone can assist. Can the A/C keep the unit cool and how is the noise factor in the tent bed?   Does the R dome come with a floor? My wife is not thrilled about the wet bath, are they really usable?
John
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:48pm
We have the RP-179. I didn't like the idea of the tent portion. I used to camp in tents. I did not want to have the hassle of wet tent material with our trailer. However, it is likely that unless you went up to a larger trailer than the R-Pod, this might be your only option unless you also traded vehicles for one that could tow a larger trailer.

We were towing with a Ford Escape with 2L Ecoboost engine. It also had a tow rating of 3500 lbs. It did quite well. I don't know if the Odyssey is turbocharged. If it is, it might do just fine. If not, it would do well at lower elevations and struggle as you got up to higher elevations as it would lose 4% of power for every 1,000 ft of elevation gain.

Neither my wife nor I mind the wet bath. It is a bit tight, but usable. Think of it as having a place to sit while showering. Most of the time, we use campground facilities if they are available. Showers in the R-Pod use more water than you think they would. That would apply to dry baths also. You can empty your fresh water tank and fill up your gray water tank very quickly unless you are extremely frugal with the water use. We don't have the R-dome. I do not think it comes with a floor though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:07pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:08pm
Hi jpolicas,   No the r-dome does NOT come with a floor.  More of a place to get out of the elements (rain, sleet, snow) and unless you are finicky about putting up the screen between the dome and the pod, mosquitoes and the like will find a way to get in.  Can't tell you about A/C as we special ordered ours to come without as we usually dry camp w/o electricity.  Am sure there are plenty of 176T owner that will chime in and give you a good answer to your question.  As far as the shower, we use ours a fair amount, quite an upgrade from our previous pop-up campers.  We don't use much water, being miserly, and usually boondocking, get wet, soap up, rinse off.  For me, takes about 1 minute, my wife takes a tad longer.  Guess we got used to doing this being in countries like Mexico, Nicaragua, Guyana, and Kosova, where water wasn't plentious.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:03pm
I would think dy time  you put your shelf your 4 kids your wife all of the  stuff you will need you are going to be over weight.you are going to need a different TV.Your life may be in the balance 
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:32am
+1 bugout.
 The weight of all 6 people, and just half of what they would need will put you overweight. You need a minimum of a 5000 pound capacity in my opinion. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply