R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs this OK on the battery and charging system?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this OK on the battery and charging system?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:29pm
Hi All
I recently posted about a problem I was having where I just got back from a trip and my batteries were extremely low (11.9 to 12.0 volts). Long story short the component that charges the system failed and the shop replaced it. I have the Pod home now and the charging system seems to be working fine.

However this problem has me questioning how I have stored my Pod the last couple of months I have had it since buying it new. I have kept the P-Pod plugged into my house outlet using a 15a adapter for the R-Pods main electrical cord. It is my understanding that leaving the R-Pod plugged in full time keeps the batteries charged and in good shape and is a good way to keep it stored. 

1) Is storing the R-Pod with the power constantly connected to the home current the best way to keep the batteries in good shape?

2) Does keeping the R-Pod connected to the house electrical while stored wear out or tax the charging system?

3) If not what should I be doing to store my R-Pod in the ideal way for the batteries well being?

Thanks,

John
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:33pm
Mine stays plugged in when it is in our driveway. The only time it has been disconnected is when it has been at the dealer's service department. I have the two six-volt batteries removed and a very small (as in yard tractor sized) 12V battery in there while I am getting it ready to go for repairs. The battery smooths out the 12V power. That way, my 12V appliances have a stable source of power, even if it won't last long. It will carry though short power outages, and would provide for the R-Pod's brakes if needed. I wouldn't want to camp with it though. When we go to pick up our escaPOD, we will take the two six-volt batteries to install.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Rainrider22 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:52pm
Never, and I mean never leave your batteries in over the winter. Simply take them out and hook a battery tender over the winter. Your battery, s will last for years. I do this with my two campers, my three motorcycles, and I have never had a battery problem. P.S I live in Canada where it can get God Aweful cold, still, All my batteries get well beyond regular service life.... Let all the naysayers go...
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:00pm
Hi JET.  Ever since we purchased our 2  12v deep cycle batteries for our 2011  177 we take them out of the pod for winter (we reside in northern Michigan, maybe not quite as cold as in Kitchener, but it does get cold.  They come out of the pod in late October where I store them in our unheated garage.  They receive a 2 amp trickle charge (takes about 24 hours/battery) in October and then  sit on the cement floor during the winter.  Next month, in April I will repeat the process and give them another 2 amp trickle charge until they are 100% charged.  This will take 24-36 hours/battery.  The batteries get used a lot and are now just over 6 years old and in great condition for yet another year of service.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:07pm
I do exactly the same as jato, with my 2012 177 pod. The only difference is I set the battery on my work bench. So far so good. OH and I live where its even colder than Kitchener or Michigan.... Just south of Ottawa Ont.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:30pm
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:35pm
We live in North Carolina. It does not get as bitterly cold as it does in Michigan or Ontario. It only rarely hits the teens here. We have had several days in the 20s this winter. If the battery is charged, it would not be bad to leave it in if the R-Pod is plugged in. Otherwise, removing it and using a good float charger to keep it topped off would not be bad. Periodic charging will accomplish the same thing. Either way, if you have a flooded cell battery, make sure you check the electrolyte level and add distilled water as needed.

Trojan has a white paper on batteries. According to this white paper, if my battery is charged, I have no worry about it freezing if I leave it in my R-Pod. It would only be a concern if the battery were to be discharged to around 20% and we were to get a really cold (for this area) snap. At 85%, Trojan states the temperature at which the battery will freeze is -62 degrees F. I don't have to worry about that here. I don't know what Oregon's temperatures are like. It makes sense to remove the battery or batteries if one lives where extremely low temperatures can be expected. But for where we live, it isn't so critical.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:43pm
Thanks everyone for the answers. I think I am still somewhat confused as to the best overall protocol for my batteries and still have questions. I just got back from a 10 day trip in my R-Pod. I have another trip planned in a couple of weeks that will be 4 days at a campground with full hookups. I will most likely be doing trips every month to 2 or 3 month intervals. So I guess I need guidelines that make sense where I probably won't have the R-Pod sitting unused for the entire winter, although I don't really know how often I will use it once the newness wears off. It might sit for 2 or 3 months unused. 

I have two 6v GC batteries installed when I bought it. 

So my follow up questions to the above advice is as follows...

1) How do I determine time wise when it is best to remove the two 6v batteries and store them when the R-Pod won't necessarily be put away for the entire winter, but might be inactive a month...or 2 or 3 months

2) How do I charge the 6v GC batteries with a trickle charger? Do I charge them hooked up in line and charge as if it is a single 12v battery?...or do I charge them individually as 6v batteries?

3) What should I look for in a trickle charger? What features...brand....specs???

4) Obviously I don't want to simply leave the batteries mounted on the R-Pod with the battery disconnect key removed thus effectively disconnecting the batteries that way....why not (just want to understand the science) ??

John
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 10:53pm
I charged my batteries in late fall when I took them out and put them in my heated garage. I checked them last week, going into season seven.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:48am
Unless it gets below -40F, there is NO danger to a properly charged battery from the cold. NONE.

If your pod is plugged in and charging the batteries, you will be fine to leave them in the pod, unless, again, it's going to be below -40F. Then I recommend a pad warmer.

I may or may not have been stationed in or near the arctic circle, with equipment, tracked and wheeled, that was mission critical, for a couple years.

We only see down to -5F or so in the worst of our winter here at home, but our Pod batteries tested 100% after 5 seasons. Plugged in at home always.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>