R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Events and Campouts
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: The positives of R-Pods when travelling with dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe positives of R-Pods when travelling with dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The positives of R-Pods when travelling with dogs
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:42pm
Hi,  I'm currently shopping for my first R-Pod and I looking for the input of others who travel with their canine companions. I have two mid size dogs (50lbs). I've been leaning towards bunk beds to put the kennels on the bottom bunk. Also thinking if I leave the table down that I'd sleep on the top bunk if I could get a real mattress to fit (I need a firm, good mattress for my back). 

Any feed back is very much appreciated, including if you think my plan for the bunks is realistic and what do you like about the R-Pod when travelling with dogs.

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:51pm
Welcome. We travel with one dog. He's an 80lb English Bulldog. Very laid back. He sleeps on the floor and at times likes to get on the dinette seats of our 178. We transport him in the rear seat of our crew cab tow vehicle. He is no issue. I know there are numerous dog owners on this forum, with multiple dogs. Sure you will get good feedback.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:02pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
PlatteRiverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:27am
I just got back from a 2 month trip in my 172 with 2 dogs, one small and one medium. They like the bottom bunk, I put both mattresses there. I use the top bunk for storage with plastic bins. I roll out a 3" thick mattress at night at the table area and roll it back up in the morning and store on the lower bunk. I've put a shower rod and curtain up in front of the bunks so it's covered during the day, didn't like the idea of having all my stuff in my face when I was in the camper. Sounds like work but it's really not. My sleeping bed is cozy and big, good support, light and I don't feel cramped.
I also put up a permanent curtain rod over my door and put a light curtain there so I can leave my doors open for air and light but still have privacy inside, particularly since the bathroom door is opposite the outside door.
PlatteRiverCamper
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:46pm
Learn from other's mistakes.  Keep in mind the thickness of the mattress that you put on either bunk so you don't lose what little headroom their is.  8 inches was too much!
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
TurtlenScooter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:11am
We have the 179 model. Our 65lb redbone coonhound sleeps on the couch by the dinette area. Our cat also joined in for a trip and he slept on the upper couch cushion while our dog was on the seat portion. We picked up rugs from Costco to place on the seat cushions ( to go under the pet blanket). Hope this helps.
Turtle
2016 rPod 179
2014 Nissan Titan TV
Redbone Coonhound
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:46pm
I have 2 labs 50 lbs in a 180. No crates because well behaved and respect each other. So much fun. Did learn slide out must be extended or they are constrained and a tight fit. They quickly adapt. It is a challenge in a tight space but I smile every morning watching them and trying to get that out the door
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:36am
I have a 45lb rescue and a 15 lb Pug.. they sleep on the bottom bunk of mine.  They are crate trained at home, but I don't take one in the trailer.  When we have left them, the A/C is so loud they have no idea whats going on outside.
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:57pm
I travel with two dogs...60 lb lab and 35 lb Brittany. They sleep wherever they want...usually the bed, although the Lab sometimes prefers her dog bed on the floor. The Brittany wouldn't think of sleeping on the floor!
SqueakyToy17 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 4:19pm
Hello,
I have three dogs; two Newfoundlands (equal 300 pounds together) and a mini-schnauzer who thinks she is a Newfoundland!

I intentionally got the rPOD 179 with the attachable room because of my dogs. My male will be able to easily lay down in the trailer (he is 185#); my female will be able to be in her kennel inside the rDome room (and I can have a window open to listen for her) and of course the mini will be up on the bed.

I take two pens with me for the big ones to chill out in when we aren't out and about.

Good luck! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>