R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhitch selection and wiring - Event Date: 21 Mar 2017 - 28 Mar 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: hitch selection and wiring
    Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 3:51pm
We gave purchased a used 2016 179 that is waiting for us in North Carolina. Purchased a Highlander with added radiator capacity, and oil cooler, along with class 3 hitch wired with a 'four flat' coupling. The 179 has a 7 way round coupling, what is the best way to match my current wiring to the 7 way round?
Second question is about additional battery capacity? Marine battery?  Second standard battery? Solar panel recharging?
Oh yes one more thing, previous owner raised the body of the R-pod 3 " off the axel to not scrape bottom in rough camping lands. How will that effect any hitch height I will need to install off the back of my Highlander? Many thanks in advance. Billy
Billy
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm
billy
It would be recommended that you use a wdh system. The hitch in these system are adjustable. You would set the hitch height to get the tongue near level while hitched. You NEED the 7 way, as well as a brake controller. The 4 pin is a no go for this. The rest of your question is a little to vague to answer

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:15pm
Hello Billy,
To answer your first question, you don't. You get and install the proper round connector with a brake controller for the 179's electric brakes. If you try to just adapt the 4-pole to the 7-pole connector, you won't have brakes in the trailer and that is dangerous. Go to etrailer.com and look for proportional brake controllers. Some people choose the Tekonsha P3 controller. I chose the Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount controller. Either one will perform well. See this Q&A on etrailer.com. The answer recommends the Tekonsha. The Hopkins will work well also. You did not say what year. I went with the assumption that it is a 2017.
Second question: Best thing is to go with a true deep cycle battery. Most Marine batteries are not much different than starting batteries. I chose dual 6V batteries wired in series. They have much more capacity than a standard 12V battery and they are true deep cycle. We got our two from Batteries & Bulbs under the Duracell label. We got the 215Ah model. You could go with dual-12V batteries, but then they need to be wired in parallel. As for solar charging, what kind of camping are you going to do? If it is mostly in campgrounds where you will have shore power, save your money. If it is occasional camping without connections that is limited to a day or two, save your money. If it is extended boondocking, than solar would be a good investment as would a good quality generator. Some places limit the hours or outright prohibit the running of generators. In that case, solar is silent, but if you have shade, useless. Don't spend money you don't need to.
Third, do some searching. When the R-Pod is hitched, it should be level or with the tongue end slightly lower. Set the trailer on level ground and level it. Then take a measurement from the ground to the top of the hitch socket. That will let you know the height for your hitch. Now, given the vehicle, you will find it best to go with a weight-distribution (WD) hitch with sway control. We use an Equal-i-zer 4-point stabilization hitch. It is heavy, but performs well. Others use an E2 hitch. It has 2-point sway control, but is less expensive than the Equal-i-zer hitch. Others choose the Andersen No-Sway hitch. Whichever you choose, if you don't feel comfortable installing and adjusting it, get some help. You don't want it to be set up wrong and give you false assurance. It needs to be right to function properly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:41pm
Hi Billy,
As StephenH mentioned above, a good bet on batteries would be the 2 6v batteries as they used in the older 36v electric golf cart systems.  The newer electric golf carts have gone to a 48 volt system, using 4 deep cycle 12v batteries.  Currently we have 2  12v marine batteries that are just over 6 years old used on our 177.  We boondock quite a bit and do the bulk of our camping in the shoulder months when the weather is colder and electric isn't available.  We expect to get 3 days minimum from each battery when night temps are in the 40's to upper 30's.  With our 2 batteries we go a minimum of 6 days w/o any help from other sources.  When these batteries give out we will most likely go with either 2 - 6volt or 2 -12 volt golf cart batteries.  Will have to price them out and see the amp hour ratings on each.  Last year the golf course resort I work for purhased 130 new Yamaha golf carts.  They are gas carts but I may have an in to get a reduced price on the batteries used in their electric carts. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:49am
We have a 2012 Highlander with tow package as a tow vehicle. When we purchased our Pod, our dealer threw in the extra wiring and a time-ramp brake controller as part of the deal.

I subsequently replaced the controller with a Prodigy proportional controller and noticed a huge difference in how smooth the brakes operated. I don't think I even changed the controller settings from the default; it just worked.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:38pm
We had the same experience Mr. Bum.  The Prodigy that came with our Explorer works fantastic.  Never had to adjust or change settings from the default.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply