R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th 180 mod-twin beds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th 180 mod-twin beds
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:00pm
So after much discussion about the awkward sideways sleeping arrangement in the pod , I installed twin beds.
 Update; Added a center removable center section mattress for sleeping at night making it a full queen. We still sleep front to back, but now she can make snow angels in the night. After using the pod with out the center section in we loved the extra floorspace the twins provided. But really missed the open space of a queen. The center section pops right out and stores out of the way easy. 
  I took out the queen mattress and installed twin beds With a removable center section for daytime floor space. The door side bed extends to 78" with a pull out dinette seat back and the slideout side is 63", but she sleeps slightly angled towards the center now.
  There is an 18" walkway up the middle with a nightstand and a drawer under each bed. I also added shoe bin storage under the bed. Worked out well and really opened up the feeling of the pod 

Lift out Seat back modifications.
The slot for the seat back
Before I built the slot. I removed the skin from the dinette side and then removed the two pieces of wood in the middle, 1 that supports the seat plywood and the other that the lower part of the skin was stapled to.

On the lift out seat back I cut the the vertical  risers 2" below the plywood these act as a stop when i put the seat back in place,and then rebuilt it with a 1x2 that slides into the slot.
Here's the slot end. The seat plywood screws down to this now.

Let me know if you need any questions answered.
rgds John 
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:42pm
I like the idea. Unfortunately, it won't work with the 179 unless I open up the wardrobe side toward the bed and use that for extra length, putting in a new floor for a shorter wardrobe. The other side would not be able to be lengthened much due to the slide-out. How did you handle that? How close is the edge of the slide-out to the end of the bed?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:26pm
Vois; I like the idea, the only thing I would worry about are the handles on the drawers. the space between the beds is very narrow, you could scrape your legs on them. I would suggest flush mount handles.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:24am
Stephan,
On the bed on the slideout side i was able to extend the plywood 3 " for a total of 63" (again she's short), and have about 1/2 " to the slide trim. I actually made a simple extension that hangs on the end trim but Sue says she doesn't need it, We will see after this weekend.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:31am
Marwayne,
 The opening is 18" wide and the original plan was no pulls, just grab the bottom of the drawer face that sticks down an inch. but it really is wide enough even with the pulls sticking out an inch, hasn't been an issue except that the drawers handles hit each other and the drawers don't open as far as they could by 2", (My bad). I may go back to the original plan if it turns out to be an issue, It's just replace a drawer face and she wanted handles....... Happy wife!
Rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:52am
We have a 172, space is at a premium, We don't have handles anywhere.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:03am
Marwayne, OK that looks like a better idea! I like it. You can see in the video the nightstand hit the handles.
 I just had extra handles and put them on.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

jason330i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by voisj

So after much discussion, and an idea planted by Rick Copeland, I took out the drawers under the mattress mod and installed twin beds. Hers is 28" wide and 63" long and mine is also 28" wide and extends to 80" with a pull out dinette seatback. 28"is close to the sleeping space of 30" each camper gets in a 60" wide queen.  There is an 18" walkway up the middle with a nightstand and a drawer under each bed. I also added shoe bin storage under the bed.
Worked out well and really opened up the feeling of the pod! We give it the first real test this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes!
rgds John 

This is some great work! How difficult would you say this task was?

I may be interested in doing something similar.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:31am
I like the recessed handles Marwayne. The whole setup looks really sharp.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:54am
Jason,
This one was more complicated to design than the drawers under bed mod, but the build wasn't any worse.
Skill level 7, If you can build a drawer and mount it on guides (with drawer face) you could most likely do the mod.

95% of the cuts were done with a skil saw, and it's all put together with screws. I wanted full access to everything under with easy to remove access panels, Trim was all the same Home Depot shelving I used before and it was tricky only using that as trim. There is angle iron over the large drawer openings to support the plywood and face frame. What it looks like under the mattress 

The mattress is a 6" 3 layer memory foam queen that I Bought on amazon for $130, actually cut it with a skilsaw and a cheese knife.

Rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>