Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbandoned by FR and dealer - Event Date: 16 Mar 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Abandoned by FR and dealer
    Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:36pm
 I can totally commiserate with your experience of quality and service, I also had some bumps before being satisfied with my Pod. 

Sawdust.. Yeah, mine had sawdust in every hidden crevice, and especially the light fixtures before and after each trip, I would dump some out. I used a shop vac to suck it out of the wire exit holes wherever I could. It eventually stopped.

EVERY single RV on the planet will kill a battery in a few weeks. The propane detector is hardwired. It cannot be turned off. All owners end up either removing the battery between trips (a pain) or installing a disconnect switch. You will still have to charge them occasionally or they will self discharge anyhow.

The water leak in your shower was totally unacceptable. I know it's impossible to test every single system when picking up, but water from the drain. Wow, the shower floor trampoline sounds like someone at the factory forgot to add the floor buffers during construction.

The radio issue is another that should be considered unacceptable. You should be able to use the appliances when plugged into shore power (but the furnace might not work on shore power alone, found this out myself, required having a battery installed).

Your dealer sounds like they didn't have any interest in going to bat for you, they were not in your corner. I hope you can get through all the crap, and find a better dealer in your area. You already know that fixing it yourself is the most timely way, and will be done to your satisfaction, but at 80, I wouldn't want to put up with that stuff.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
Thanks for the comments John.

You are right. PoulsboRV totally washed their hands of me the minute I drove the Rpod off the lot.

My answer is to forget Forest River and PoulsboRV and do it myself or take it to an independent RV repair shop in the area.  I'll forget the rest of my warranty as it is totally irrelevant anyway.

To bad they do not have a Lemon law for trailers.
When in doubt, don't.
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:12pm
Bill

Thank you for sharing the frustration. The 182g we have was the first rv for me and the wife. Lots of sawdust, spare fittings, parts , little things that shouldn't be. I did not know any better and thought that it was normal, although unacceptable. Water leaks, dead batteries, and several surprises as well. After many mods and a few trips, I am really happy with the pod and wouldn't want to ever get rid of it. I drove about 180 miles to get mine becuse I couldn't find one closer. So, I never even considered warranty , being naive, I just started dealing with what I didn't like and knew could be better. Bottom line is, the factory could do better on quality control, however the pod is better than the shortcomings that detract from the overall product. I hope that you find some peace in this and enjoy the trips that await you. I wish quality was what it used to be that you experienced.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by mcarter

...Have you considered posting your comments to the Forest River Forum, under RPods? It is a different group than this one, but has some common members. This group is by far the most positive, constructive and helpful, so I'm not saying you should look for support from other forums, but if I wanted to vent I would take a jab at a site that has a Forest River name attached to it. ...

Note that the Forest River Forum is not run by FR and there is no association between them.  The people that run it are very strict about what you post - unless you are one of them.  Post about any other forum or brand and be ready to be threatened with banning.  See one of the mods have a camper for sale in their signature so you do it, too, and be threatened with banning.  I visited for about a month before I gave up.  Just sayin'.

FR visits this forum regularly and sees posts like this, I know for a fact.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Note that the Forest River Forum is not run by FR and there is no association between them.  The people that run it are very strict about what you post - unless you are one of them.  Post about any other forum or brand and be ready to be threatened with banning.  See one of the mods have a camper for sale in their signature so you do it, too, and be threatened with banning.  I visited for about a month before I gave up.  Just sayin'.

FR visits this forum regularly and sees posts like this, I know for a fact.  

Quoted for truth as they say...
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:29pm
Bill-J - The battery absolutely should have been replaced, by the dealer.  That voltage means it sat for months on the dealer's shelf without being charged (as a ham you likely know this already but I'm pointing it out for future readers).  Batteries are added at delivery and not by FR.

All campers do have some constant loads such as the radio memory, and the biggest is the LP detector.  It has to run a small heater to function which is why it must be operated from the FLA battery and not small alkalines.  For liability reasons (I believe) FR and dealers don't install battery cutoffs since it disables the LP detector but they are must-haves for long-term storage.  Or just keep it plugged into your house 24/7.  It will last about 2 weeks before the battery gets too low, if you use nothing else.  You mentioned adding a 2nd battery, make sure it isn't FLA if it is in an interior compartment.

Many people, including me with my 2010 model, have found loose PVC under the shower and sink.  It is just hand-tightened at the factory and I don't know why it isn't cemented.  Keep checking it.  That yours was broken isn't surprising.

Simple tests by the dealer should have been free for a unit purchased from them.  Battery and temperature checks cost them nothing and you are their recent customer.  My own dealer ended up being just as awful and technically inept.  I don't know how their service dept stays in business (don't get me started on what I went through).  If you hadn't already I would say in capital letters, get a new dealer.

Keep up the observations and questions!
Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:34pm
Thanks,  I am just learning about blogs, etc.  

If Forest River wants to ban me I don't give a D..n.  I am through with them for everything.  I'll take care of my rig myself as FR has no customer service...
When in doubt, don't.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:20pm
They'll see this thread.  And nobody here is going to ban you.  Embarrassed
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Bill-J

Thanks,  I am just learning about blogs, etc.  

If Forest River wants to ban me I don't give a D..n.  I am through with them for everything.  I'll take care of my rig myself as FR has no customer service...

It's not FR that will ban you.. as was pointed out, the "Forest River" forum does not belong to, nor is it monitored or controlled  by FR.. It's just some guy who started a forum called "Forest River Owners Forum".

No one from FR will know or be impacted. Unlike like here and the FaceBook group, where FR does watch/monitor, but they don't participate.
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 11:04pm
Bill-J, wow! I am so sorry for all of your troubles. I would have driven that pod right up to FR'S front door and make so much noise until the top dog came out to see the product they are sending out for purchase. Then I would have demanded a full refund or a perfect replacement plus reimbursement for my travel expenses to their HQ'S. AND FR should drop that awful dealer. This aggravates the heck out of me. We lucked out and the gently used R-pod 179 we bought in a private sale has only had a couple of minor issues. The original owner's said they hadn't had any issues. I know the forum typically hears only the negative issues and rarely do you see a post espousing happiness. Well, we are happy with our POD, but no one should have the number of issues that you experienced. (Yes, I know rv's always have some maintenance problems, but your extent is unacceptable.) There...got that off my chest! Again, sorry for your bad luck. BTW, the Facebook Rpod group is also a great resource for info, advice and more! I recommend that you and forum members consider joining that group. Good luck to you.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>