R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Valet XL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Valet XL
    Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:47am
I'd like to build one on a used snowblower chassis, one with tracks.  I think that would work better on grass and gravel.

Anyone want to donate their old tracked snowblower?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:17am
Parkit 360

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:44pm
Both the Parkit360 and the Trailer Valet XL have the same basic problem; the connection to the trailer coupler must be RIGID. The problem we had was that it was impossible to tighten the coupler/coupler plate enough to prevent it from "torquing out" of the coupler. The Parkit360 can be used with their "Universal Telescopic Frame Adapter" for another $167 (and it might also work with the Trailer Valet (BTW)). The adapter would be absolutely rigid, and would solve the problem we had. However, at that point the Parkit360 plus the adapter is approaching $1200, which is more than the Purple Line Enduro.

I think the Enduro is a better value, and solves the problem of where to store the mover (the only thing we would have to store is the remote control).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:19pm
Hmmm .... seems to me like some very expensive solution to a problem that shouldn't be that much. Oh well to each their own, right?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:37pm
If I could push it into the storage space manually it would be great, but it's too heavy. Getting into the space just takes time because there's not enough room to do it in one go (truck is too long for the space between rows). So I go as far as I can, then disconnect & reposition. Rinse, repeat.
bp
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:51pm
My dolly cost me about 550$, without it I would have to take the pod to storage at a 100$ a month, for 5 years that would be 6000$, well worth the price of the dolly. I bring the pod in the back alley, but then I have to make a sharp 90* turn up a 10 % grade to park it behind the garage. We are not allowed to park our RV in the driveway. With the dolly I save a 100$ a month, bonus, I have the pod at home where it is  fenced in.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by marwayne

My dolly cost me about 550$, without it I would have to take the pod to storage at a 100$ a month, for 5 years that would be 6000$, well worth the price of the dolly. I bring the pod in the back alley, but then I have to make a sharp 90* turn up a 10 % grade to park it behind the garage. We are not allowed to park our RV in the driveway. With the dolly I save a 100$ a month, bonus, I have the pod at home where it is  fenced in.

No disagreement from me that in some cases like yours, marwayne, spending $500 or more makes economical sense. Yet for the average RP owner that's allot of money to shell out when maybe there are other low cost solutions? Or at least that what interests me, creative low cost solutions to the parking problems that some of us face.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Dengle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dengle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
I have a Rpod 179 and have a narrow passage on driveway. I've been using a trailer dolly (three wheels) with off/on kill switch connected to trailer battery to activate brakes due to slight incline. Sometimes, I need to pull trailer forward and my body can't handle. Question: Should I purchase the Trailer Valet XL or the 5X? If mounting the 5X on passenger side of tongue, would mounting bracket interfere with Fastway E2 sway bar bracket? I believe I can mount, as 8 inches of frame is available. However, perhaps the XL is better choice. My trailer has the 500 pound tongue weight and single axle rated about 3800 pounds, so the 5X is probably okay. Ground is concrete pavement. If having the 5X, there's concern about folding on tongue during trips? I can remove too. The 5X wheel appears to fold toward the front, not rearward. Concerned about turning radius as well. Guess I could remove for travel. The 5X is cheaper than the XL. So, assuming the Trailer Valet works based on most reviews, should I opt for the 5X or spend money for the XL w/2" ball. Thanks, Dengle
2015 Rpod 179
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee,V6
w/tow package
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 12:38pm
We tried both versions of the Trailer Valet. They were not worth the powder it would take to blow them to smithereens. We had our 179 on flat pavement with small (like 1/4") rocks scattered here and there, and they could not "climb" the resistance that provided. Both versions would "torque" trying to move the trailer, and in the end could not do it at all. We returned both of them.

We ended up getting an E-go trailer mover from Purpleline, and it is the bee's knees.

bp
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 4:49pm
Seeing the GG has direct experience with both his advice is well taken.  Also if you decide to try it anyway, as you have good smooth concrete, maybe you could give it a go.  Worse case scenario is that it fails the test, as it did with GG, and you end up returning it.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>