R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Valet XL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Valet XL
    Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:45am
I bought a Trailer Valet XL to move my Rpod 177 on loose gravel and grass.  The tires spun out and dug in the gravel.  On grass, the tires just spun.  It failed miserably even when I put plywood under the tires.  I tried concrete pavers and a metal loading ramp with treads on it.  It still failed miserably.  I put more weight on the trailer tongue and it just dug in /spun easier. 

Part of the problem was having the trailer on grass or gravel, I think.  Too much resistance for the trailer to roll easily.

I tried to sell it repeatedly on Craigslist.  One guy bought it, tried it on gravel, and brought it back with some free swear words.

This "trailer mover" is only for hard surfaces for BOTH the trailer and the mover.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:20am
The problem we had was not traction. The problem was the ball/collar connection to the trailer. I tightened it, and tightened it, and tightened it some more until the 99 cent spanner would not stay in the slots. Yet every time I tried to "move" the trailer, it would "walk" in the direction of rotation. Just worthless.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:44am
If I had it to do over again I would not purchase again. It works in my driveway and it is on an small incline. Since I have become pretty good at backing and positioning my trailer I do not need it.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:51pm
We're sending ours back. eTrailer was very understanding, and issued an RMA right away. My biggest challenge (at the moment) is boxing things up. The original package, and the larger box that it was in was damaged significantly. I used a couple yards of packing tape in an attempt to get the original package back together in a semblance of a "box". The next challenge is scrounging up enough packing materials to fill the large voids in the original shipping box; and then taping up all the tears in it.

I'm seriously looking at the Purple Line "Caravan Movers". They have two models; Enduro, and E-go. The Enduro is their economy product, but has the same basic features as the E-go at an ~~ $500 discount. The primary difference is that the E-go is made (mostly) from cast aluminum, and the Enduro is made from steel (so is probably a bit heavier). They both are rated to move up to 5,000 lbs on a  single axle, and they demonstrated the ability to move up to a 25% grade (1 in 4 slope).

The main issue for us is the tight quarters in our storage facility. The spaces are tight, and the space between rows is narrow. Our F-150 is over 20' long, so it's snug even without the R-pod. I've maneuvered in there a bit now, and I know I can do it; but it's not "comfortable", and it sure induces stress.

I poked around a bit and found these competitors:
  • Truma SR
  • Royal Titan
  • PowrTouch Heavy Duty
  • Reich Cross Mover
  • Rhyno Charger
Your mileage may vary.
bp
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
Why not built your own dolly.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:14pm
Likely, not having the tools for the job nor the knowledge of how to build one is a big impediment to doing so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Likely, not having the tools for the job nor the knowledge of how to build one is a big impediment to doing so.
That's not my issue. I have built things far more complex and involved than something like this. I have the tools, and I have the knowledge. The controller for an actual caravan mover would be a bit of a challenge; but it would all take more time than just buying one that works.
bp
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:26pm
I almost bought one, two problems, 1 they could not guaranty it would pull the pod up a 10% grade, 2 the dolly was way to high to clear the backend of the pod
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:41am
Originally posted by marwayne

I almost bought one, two problems, 1 they could not guaranty it would pull the pod up a 10% grade, 2 the dolly was way to high to clear the backend of the pod
Which "one" are you talking about?
bp
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by marwayne

Sweet! Now if I could only figure out how to build it??? But nice very nice!

Has anyone tried rigging up someway of moving the trailer with a lawn tractor?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>