R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtow vehiicle Choice - Event Date: 06 Mar 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: tow vehiicle Choice
    Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:33am
I should have added that we have sold the 173in our picture. We currently have a 179,but haven’t changed the picture. I think the op asked about towing a 179,
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:37am
Here's a payload Capacity spreadsheet that will work in Excel (windows) or Numbers (Mac). Works pretty well and hits all the right questions.

It's on you to gather your info and enter it. Also, pretty good YouTube channel to follow if your so inclined.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:37am
I just purchased a 2016 Dodge Durango Limited with the V6 and think it will work great.  Have not towed with it yet but have several trips planned in the near future and will report on how the Dodge handles things.
The Pirate's Pod
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Capt Kidd

I just purchased a 2016 Dodge Durango Limited with the V6 and think it will work great.  Have not towed with it yet but have several trips planned in the near future and will report on how the Dodge handles things.

Out of curiosity only. Try running the spreadsheet and see where it lands. I would love to hear how others rate it.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Rodncerita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:19pm
We bought a 179 last year and tow it with a 2016 Ford Explorer V6. Last September we pulled it from Illinois to Custer State Park in western South Dakota. Pulled fine and was a comfortable ride. We did use the tow/haul feature on the Explorer while in the hills. The Explorer is rated for towing 5000 lbs with factory Reese style hitch. We did not use a distribution hitch but did add an adapter that allowed the use of a sway bar. As with any vehicle, the gas mileage suffered while towing trailer but was not worse than expected - around 10 mpg in hilly areas.
Rodncerita
2017 R-Pod 179
2016 Ford Explorer
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:10am
Made a short trip with the new Dodge Durango two days ago towing my 179.  60 mph flat level ground no winds got 15 mpg.  I am pleased.
The Pirate's Pod
TheFornstars View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 9:07am
I have only towed my from the dealer to the house. About 40 miles with very slight inclines here and there. My TV is 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I got 12.8 mpg on the tow home. I was quite happy with this number. Towed it just fine, but I knew it would. Have towed a trailer twice as heavy as the R-Pod 179 with no issues. I did not have the WDH bars installed or the anti sway. Pulled just fine with out them, but will be added because I have them and better safe than sorry. Trailer was a tad bouncy on certain parts of the road, but to be expected with a single axle trailer. WD bars should alleviate that a little. 

IMO, if you are in the market for a TV, I would go with something with a tow capacity a lot higher than the pod. Just makes life easier. 
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 5:37am
I've towed with both a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Tundra. IMO the Honda while a great SUV was not ideal as a tow vehicle. Unless the pod was empty, the tran would gear up much more frequently than I liked. Highway rated mpg is 24 on the Pilot and I usually got 10-11 mpg at 60 mph. With the Tundra, as expected, you don't really feel like you are towing anything. Highway rated mpg for the Tundra is a stellar 17 and I just averaged about 12 to and from FL with many hills in KY & TN at about 60 mph. I know that sounds abysmal, but I was pleased. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by PilotPodder

I've towed with both a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Tundra. IMO the Honda while a great SUV was not ideal as a tow vehicle. Unless the pod was empty, the tran would gear up much more frequently than I liked. Highway rated mpg is 24 on the Pilot and I usually got 10-11 mpg at 60 mph. With the Tundra, as expected, you don't really feel like you are towing anything. Highway rated mpg for the Tundra is a stellar 17 and I just averaged about 12 to and from FL with many hills in KY & TN at about 60 mph. I know that sounds abysmal, but I was pleased. 

Thumbs Up  I agree. That's actually good towing fuel economy from the Tundra and even the Pilot seems about right. No one should expect much above 10 mpg when there are hills involved. Anything above 10 mpg is just a gift.

The fast simple rule when towing with a gas non-turbo engine is to take the normal (not towing) highway fuel economy of the vehicle and divided it by TWO when towing an R-Pod. The answer will be very close to reality.

And if people try for 65+ MPH, even on flat terrain, all bets are off, and fuel economy WILL plummet and be abysmal!! I did all the experiments, and 55-60 seems to be the sweet spot, every 5 mph above that and start subtracting one mpg per each increase. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:24am
+1 to toolmanJohn.  Our 94 F-150 with 316,000 miles we average 10-11 mpg.  With both our '08 and '13 Explorers the average is right around 12 mpg.  Lower in the Rockies but better on the flats in the midwest.  Most importantly, I agree, the 60 mph range is our sweet spot.  Have to get used to getting passed all the time on the expressway, but, I am on vacation, I will take my time.  Better to get there a bit later than not get there at all.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>