R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtow vehiicle Choice - Event Date: 06 Mar 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: tow vehiicle Choice
    Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:26am
So, we have now purchased a 2016 179. Our subaru Forester won't do. We are in search of input for SUV types (not truck types) that folks have used successfully in towing this rig. We are former class A motorhome folks, so towing is a new adventure. Been looking at Highlanders V-6's and Pilots as well. Other suggestions or 'go ahead with these' comments are welcomed.
Many thanks, Billy
Billy
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:03am
Welcome, congrats on your 179!! A lot of it is personal preference, we tow with our Dodge Grand Caravan, we have towed up and down the east coast numerous time. We like the power (283 horsepower) and the storage we have with the minivan to carry out equipment/stuff.
I have seen numerous other here using the pilots etc, and they are happy with it performance.
Good Luck!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jalong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
Very happy with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the base V6 engine and towing package. A new Laredo model is in the low $30s.
John & Sue
2016 179 - built in April 2015
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L 13-16mpg with 179 - 21-28mpg without
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:22am
We towed our 179 with a Honda on the flat and up hills.  Worked fine except the gas mileage went say down.  Down to around 10.5 mpg on the flat level at 55 mph.  If you don't mind putting up with the mileage it works great.

When we tow, most of the time now, with our 1 ton Dodge 3500 Mega Cab diesel we get the same mpg as not towing. 
The Pirate's Pod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 12:05pm
We towed with 2 different Ford Expeditions, loved the ride and ability.
182GOR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 3:30pm
Anybody using a Toyota 4-Runner V6, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited(6cyl) or a Ford F-150 2.7L/3.5L V6 to tow a 182G?

I am looking to buying one of these and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks,

Shawn
Thanks!!

182G-Oregon
goof2014 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:33am
We just bought a 2016 4 runner, 6cyl, 4wd, automatic and a 2016-  M179.
Towed about 200 miles to and from the Oregon coast for the first trip.
I felt the 4-runner seemed a bit weak, it handled the job....it made her work up the coastal range hills of Oregon. I feel the gearing is not exactly matched/ sufficient for towing. Fuel mileage was about 13 mpg. Will be adding a trans cooler for sure, soon!.
Now saying all that, Our previous rig was a Dodge 3500 Cummins diesel, automatic, dually pulling a 37' fifth wheel. That Cummins has spoiled me for ever more and it's fuel mileage was incredible, it may have done even better than the runner with the r-pod.
I'll  need a few more trips with the 4-runner to evaluate more. I'm pretty sure right now that we will not be venturing into 10k plus hills/mtns and passes with this combination, staying away from the Rockies with it.   
Eventually the runner will be passed on to my wife for the daily driver/ commuter and I will get another cummins diesel for our ultimate TV, and then later in life another 5th wheeler so we can travel the country full time.
Live in Full Color !
Tom & Mary
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:54am
Our 2012 V6 FWD Highlander handles up to 9% grades pretty well. It does bog down a little, but not so much as to be a safety hazard. My wife has commented that the HL pulling our 179 feels very similar to her 2008 I4 Mazda Tribute in acceleration.

I'm horribly sensitive to diesel fumes (they give me an instant headache), so I don't think I could drive a diesel. I often have to change my vents to recirculating when I'm in the vicinity of a diesel vehicle.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:00pm
Just get something with a high enough towing capacity that you have a decent margin of error.  Remember that the Pod and the stuff you put in the back of your car will end up weighing a lot more than you anticipate, so give your self at least about 4,400 pounds.  For gas engines V-8's probably will be more satisfactory than a 6, but it depends on the torque output of the engine and how slow you will tolerate going up hills and in a headwind.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:31am
I have towed with a Honda Pilot and a Ford Expedition. The Honda will do the job, but is marginal for longer trips in my opinion. The engine, transmission and brakes are not quite what I wanted to be towing on our cross country trips. We bouqht the Expediton and I love it. We have put over 30,000miles on it so far. We have had zero problems.It has plenty of power, came with the factory tow package which includes 3.73rear axles, extra transmission cooler, larger altenator, oversize radiator and full hitch and wiring and probably more that I don’t remember. It is comfortable, drives well, has plenty of weight capacity, plenty of storage and the milage is acceptable for it’s size and weight.
I would buy another Expediton immediately if mine was damaged or stolen.
However, in all fairness, I have to say that we tow for long distance, multi-week trips. So the expedition is great. If I were towing for short, weekend trips, the Honda would be sufficient, but barely so.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>