R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSLO-Pod 180 mods, John&Sue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SLO-Pod 180 mods, John&Sue
    Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 2:30pm
DawgLady,
InspirePod, new name for the Pod!
 The reason I did not make it go all the way to the edge of the cabinet space was I did not need to. It works as it should and when I don't need it installed I have to store it somewhere and space is always at a premium. I usually fill that space with plastic tubs for shoes, daypacks and other nice to have along items.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:35am
I bounce on here every now and then and admire your mods.  Your attention to detail is top shelf!  One of these days, when I'm in one place long enough and have access to tools, I'm going to take on the under-bed drawers.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:51am
Stud finder worked...
But i don't see a stud between the door and the stud to the right of the window.  Is there one there?

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:08pm
Texman, 
 Looks like there is 2 near the door and then nothing until 10" or so before the window. That's like 3 feet! I have the 180 so mines totally different, But it doesn't look like anything is there, did you try a regular studfinder also? maybe someone with a 182G could chime in?
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:35pm
If you look at some of the Youtube videos available that show the R-Pod factory, you can see that the frames essentially outline the shape and have framing members near the door and windows. It is not like a house with studs every 16 or 24 inches.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:43am
i will get the stud finder out.  has to be something there, might be wood? That area is the bathroom on the 182g.  maybe they use different material there.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:33pm
Texman,
 Not sure if your going for the outdoor table, but instead of Instead of buying the thread insert tool you could just get these, I get them at ace hardware and they are about .50 cents each. I think they call them Jack nuts. They come with a little tool that holds the insert while you tighten the bolt which draws the threads closer and smashes them up against the back of the aluminum, The tool is $1.
  It does look like you would get three mounting points, one by the door, then either side of the window. Not sure but I think the grab handle would still fold flat. Or just shorten the table up to a little bigger than under the window and get 2 good mounting points.
rgds John 

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:59am
yes, i am trying to do the outdoor table.  I ordered the tool from amazon already.  it will be useful for many things i decided: boats, trailers, pods, etc.  I have used the studfinder some in the area between the window and the door.  It picks up something, but not what i think is an aluminum stud.  I think i have to do exactly what you said: three points using the stud by the door or a shorter table.  i may have to have the mounting board a bit longer than the table on the side next to the door so the table will fold up and clear the mounting hardware of the handle. My plan, at this point, is to rip a 2x6 redwood to 3/4" for my table and assemble as you did.  Should be light, plenty strong and look good with a nice stain and finish. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:30pm
Texman, nice, looking forward to seeing it! On the wood try to make sure you get a kiln-dried piece with low moisture content that way it won't want to twist and bend so much. Good luck! I do have a bunch more pictures if you want them let me know. Regards John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Jacob Orbach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:34pm
Dear John,  We love your twin bed modification.  I consider myself semi handy.  Would you consider sharing your modification and provide as much detail as possible.  I am 6'1" tall and current sleeping arrangement is not working for me.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>