R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPartially filling fresh water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Partially filling fresh water
    Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by voisj

GlibGuy,
I have two of these 5 gallon water cans I use. I put 1 in before we leave so I know how much is in the tank and then carry two in my truck, I fill up the tank as near the campsite as i can, and put them in when my wife yells from the shower that we are out of water. This happens more than I like to admit.
rgds John

I would be interested in a couple of these IF.   Does that snout fit down into the fresh water intake?  If yes, what are they called and where did you get them?  I haven't done an intensive search but I'm not coming up with anything.

(I agree I'm probably over concerned about weight but I could use a couple of these when I'm on extended primitive camping.)

Thanks!
MICK
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
ya, i like these!!  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:19am
Those are pretty efficient looking!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:20am
GlibGuy, Hogone, & leo,
Any motorsports store, (think motorcycle ATV). 
Yes, the hose fits down the fresh water filler. I put the stuff on top, (on/off valve and hose) myself, It comes with a large cap with a 3/4 " plug on top, I removed the plug and put the attachments in the plug hole. 
It's best if you go to the store and play with them, some are more ergonomic than others with the handle on one side and the breather cap next to it. It's 45 lbs full and if its not easy to hold it's a pain while filling. 
here's a link 

Rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:03pm
The only problem I see is that these are not made for potable water. That means that they might leach chemicals into the water. I would prefer one that is made for potable water. On our winter trip, we used this one which we got at our local Wal-Mart:
Reliance Products Hydroller 8 Gallon wheeled water container
The local store price may be higher than the online price.

With the proper fittings, this could be adapted to a hose which could then be used to fill the R-Pod's tank.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 3:09pm
If we do a short weekend trip we bring 10 gallons of well water with us.  Yes, we did the math, takes 40 seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket so. . . . . put the hose in the hose filler and let it run for 80 seconds and we are done.  Longer trips we always fill to the max before leaving.  Rather not have to put city/ municipal water in our tanks, don't care for the taste or the chemicals in them.  Actually we have always had well water in our tanks and on the advice of furpod did indeed sanitize our tanks for the first time last year after owning our 177 for 5 years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:27am
Thanks for all the good posts.  I plunged ahead and ordered the "LC" 5 gallon jug with hose from MotoSport.  I may order another if I'm happy with their product

As far as whether the product keeps water potable, I usually camp alone and carry water separately for drinking, cooking (don't do much) and personal hygiene (other than showers).  

Great folks on this forum!
MICK
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:09am
I use one of these upstream of the water filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EOC5M/

There's so little water contact with plastic that any chemicals that might leech into the water would be insignificant.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
 Here's a 6 gallon water can that is bpa free and only $14 at  online, (+$6 shipping). The handles look good and would work for easy pouring. I don't see an air vent though which makes a huge difference when your holding 50lbs.

http://www.tooltopia.com/null-mwc6700.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplpMWC6700&sc_intid=MWC6700&gclid=CjwKEAiAuc_FBRD7_JCM3NSY92wSJABbVoxBCLEbZaC7UB2c6WKBl9itq9FlxpLUhc-Xotg0cwtDzBoCdx3w_wcB

I don't cook with or drink water from the fresh water tank, but i do understand potable water containers are a better option. My LC 2 is left empty until I travel and then keep out of the sun under a shell in the back of my truck while traveling, Long term storage freezing and/or storage in the sun could be an issue.  

From the study i just read,

" If you are using a plastic water bottle, you should avoid drinking from any that 
                 have been frozen and/or exposed to sunlight or high temperatures".

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:25pm
Two comments, largely based on previous posts. Freshwater tank capacity is 36 gals. That is roughly close to 300 lbs. That weight negates tongue weight. The aft water tank is on the other side of the axle, the fulcrum. It is possible to decrease tongue weight to the point where sway is significantly increased. From my experience there is a larger amount of sway with full water tank and no sway control. I don't tow without sway control, so for all purposes I can cover the weight. Comment 2 - I urge you if you haven't to inspect your tank holding crossbars. The unwelded ones are held on by #14 sheet metal screws. Some have found these screws to be pulling out or missing. Tanks have fallen out of TTs. Also make sure your securing cross bracket goes all the way to the frame rail, not screwed on with a gap. Some of us have bolted out brackets thru the frame, eliminating the screw loosening issue. Thanks.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>