R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCali rains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cali rains
    Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 1:06am
We are planning our first long (2week) road trip with our RPod along the California coast from WA to Big Sur then back up to WA with a few days in Yosemite. My concern right now is all the rain. Any Californians out there want to clarify if it is as bad as the media reports? Should we be adjusting our route now (scheduled to leave April 8th) so we can change our reservations before it's too late? 
Metz Häusle
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 5:55am
I'm in So. CA and we haven't received near as much rain as N. CA has so I don't have first hand knowledge of how bad it is. Based on news reports, I think you could have some problems with road closures and delays. If you have to make a decision today, I would make other travel plans, if you can wait things could improve.
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:21am
I live in Chico CA which is on the east side of the Sacramento valley and if the rains don't keep coming every few days I see no reason to change your plans.  
The Pirate's Pod
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 4:50pm
Cametz, 2 weeks is a pretty aggressive agenda for such a long drive.  You might be able to cover the distance from WA to Big Sur, but you'll not have much time to enjoy the incredible coast line along the way.  Given the way the rains are turning out this year (I lived in CA almost all my life) you may want to either plan on more time or consider some short cuts.  You could easily spend 2 weeks just traversing the north half of CA from Crescent City to Mendocino.  In fact, you'd find yourself a bit rushed.

Given the rains on the coast (there's a wonderful picture of a bridge near Big Sur that is closed and is broken in the middle in the SF Chronicle) you have to count on delays.  As most pilots and mariners will tell you, pay attention to mother nature and don't venture out when you're likely to encounter conditions that you may not be able to handle.  With a trailer, you have the added advantage of being able to stop along the way if conditions deteriorate, unlike a sailor who ventures out into the Pacific and finds himself in an unexpected hurricane.  

If you have a time line that doesn't fit the potential weather you'll be tempted to try to trudge through when it would be better to park, have a nice dinner, and spend the night, or maybe several, until condition allow you to safely proceed.  For myself, I still follow my old sailing rule:  When you start a trip, plan on it taking as long as it takes to be safe not what your schedule dictates.  Not following that practice can lead to unpleasant outcomes.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:50pm
Camez,
I'm down in San Luis Obispo, South of Big Sur about 80 miles. Highway 1 is closed between here and Carmel due to slides and a bridge out, this will take a few months to repair. The campgrounds are all north of the road closure and most campgrounds are closed but should be open by then.
It's has been a crazy few months, with lots of trees down and power outages. I would think you should be fine if your just going to Big Sur. It's not so bad by Washington standards, we have 25 inches of rain to date and that's about twice normal, Most reservoirs are still only at 80 percent or so due to the drought.
Good luck and happy travels!!
rgds John  
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Old Surfer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:23pm
Camez
I would look at Caltrans web site http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi for the road conditions when you get close to No. Cal. It's a great tool. Rout 1 from Humboldt to SF is great. It takes a lot longer but it's worth it.
Good luck.
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:38am
Highway 1 from Ft. Bragg south to the bay area is every bit as beautiful as the south coast down by Carmel.

Ft Ross is a very interesting place to visit.  It was where the Russians had a fort long ago.  Also further south is Bodega Bay where the movie The Birds was filmed. 

When you go south from Eureka there is a town off to the right called Ferndale which is a really neat restored old Victorian village.  When you leave hwy 101 on 1 the road is a very slow drive due to curves and such but very doable.  There are lots of campgrounds on the coast both state parks and private and you should have no trouble finding spots at that time of year.
The Pirate's Pod
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Capt Kidd

Ft Ross is a very interesting place to visit.  It was where the Russians had a fort long ago. 

Darned Russians trying to mess with our elections even then.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply